Algae ID Please

Tokyo

Can anyone identify this please:

DSCF1349.jpg

I think it's Dictyota ?

From what I've read not much will eat it, so I need to look at the nutrients in the tank....

DSCF1356.jpg

DSCF1355.jpg

looks like dino its a bacteria not a algae use phosphate remove change every 3 days i use purigen and a good grade carbon dont do any water changes till it dies off good luck

To me, it looks like a macroalgae, but I'm bad at id's. If it breaks up very easily under your fingers, like a layer of mud, almost, it's a microbe of some sort. In most cases, whether it's a macroalga or a microbe, nutrient control will work to control it. Less feeding and a GFO reactor are two of the easier approaches. Better skimming might help, too.

I think its a Macro.

I looked up Dictyota and that might be it. One thing to look at. The "leaves", are they ENTIRELY flat, or do they twist like a corkscrew type shape? If flat, I would say dictyota. If it cork-screws, check out Lobophora. Hope it's not lobophora, have heard it is near impossible to get rid of, although my hermits do a pretty good number on my 1 small patch of lobophora. 1 day my one "leaf" of lobophora will be the size of a marble, next, gone, day after that, marble, day after that gone.

To me, it looks like a macroalgae, but I'm bad at id's. If it breaks up very easily under your fingers, like a layer of mud, almost, it's a microbe of some sort. In most cases, whether it's a macroalga or a microbe, nutrient control will work to control it. Less feeding and a GFO reactor are two of the easier approaches. Better skimming might help, too.

+1 I'd say some kind of macro

The leaves are flat and it grows in clumps like a moss. Done some more research and I'm pretty sure it's Dictyota. Nasty stuff, spreads very rapidly and apparently the only thing that eats it is Emerald Crabs and Naso Tangs. I've got two Emerald's and I've never seen them touch it, and my tank's too small for a Naso. I've got a small purple tang but he's not interested.

Currently cutting back on the light, reducing feeding and running Rowaphos in a reactor changing twice a week.

Could I dose Vodka? I read a guide but it said to only do it if you can measure the progress but NH3/4, NO2, NO3 & PO4 are undetectable.

eh, dosing vodka is iffy. I have heard people swear by it, and have heard people bash it as the ruote of many problems in a tank. Try removing as much as possible by hand, give it a few hours, and then test phosphat again. Phosphate can be present, but undetectable, because the algae uses it faster than we can measure it. By removing a LOT of the algae, you are going to reduce the amount of algae using the phosphate, and MIGHT get a better look at what your phosphates really are.

Do you have a sump? Are you growing a macro-algae to outcompete for nutrients?

I have a sump but it's only got a couple of small chambers for filter media so there's no where for a fuge. I'm thinking about adapting the top up chamber.
I'm a bit reluctant to remove the stuff by hand because it seems to spread the stuff around the tank.
Think I'll give the vodka a miss for now, keep it simple.
Thanks all.:)

not enough detail for me to even have an idea, although i think i see a Valonia right in the red area lower-center

can you take some of it and macro it in a small dish or something..entire branching structure would help

100% dictyota. SOME macro's are easier to deal with than others, some go sexual, some do not. I have no particular experience with this specific macro. If it is spreading, do anything you can to erradicate it.

Been doing some reading and this stuff is apparently a sod to get rid of. :( Looks like I'm in for a long battle.

Back