Algae ID please

ctopal

Starting to have algae issues again :( I have one rock that is growing what I assumed was green hair algae. They are little soft tufts that I can pull easily except not right down to the root off of the rock. See below terrible picture.

This is the one I'm unsure about as I've never had it before. It started off as long green strands attached to the glass. I assumed it was chaeto coming up from my sump, I should have touched it. All of a sudden now it's multiplied a lot and is attached everywhere. It's very soft/slimy single strands and comes off easily. I also have a little patch of bryopsis that keeps re-appearing in the same spot. All this and my Kohl tang is doing nothing, neither is my clean up crew and my algae turf scrubber is barely growing a thing. Wondering what I can add to my clean up crew to help out.

Thanks for this, great resource! I didn't know green hair algae had so many forms, maybe it's not bryopsis that I have. I did have a magnesium drop that I didn't realize due to my kalkwasser; it looks like this could have triggered the growth all of a sudden. I'm ordering extra clean up crew and a sea hare. Working on getting the magnesium back up and keeping up with water changes

Bryopsis I think is a little feathery looking & more coarse than hair algae. I had some on a plug of zoas I moved from my frag tank to my display & my sail fin tang destroyed it in about 4 seconds.

Back