Algae identification

Backer

Can someone help me identify the algae I have on my rocks. It is a deep maroon color but is not slimy. It feels like velvet when you touch it. Also would like to,know the best way to eliminate it. I have turbo snails in the tank, but do not appear to like it or if they are eating it they are not cleaning it all the way off the rock
IMG_4008.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

It does not appear to have tentacles. Looks more like a thick fur/corduroy. It also is at the bottom of my tank and does not get a lot of water circulation at the bottom. My water parameters are PH 8.0 ammonia 0ppm nitrite 0 ppm nitrate 5 Ppm salinity 1.024. I have not tested phosphates. I use tap water not RO water, but have never had an outbreak of this type of algae. I am planning on starting this tank over from scratch, so just want to get the Live rock clean from algae. The goal is to,add a live sand bed and more live rock. Currently the tank only has live rock. Also have a bio ball filter and want to remove them to use just filter socks.

Please turn the blue channel off or way down when taking identification pictures...Proper color rendition can be very important and all the blue messes up colors and often cause problems with focus too..

It does not siphon off. You have to scrub it off. I am thinking red turf is probably correct. Thanks!

Mexican turbos for the red algae, they don't eat green much, but will remove the red turf completely.

1 for every 10 gallons is plenty.
Place them on the rocks, then redirect their effort back to rocks weekly.

Mexican turbos for the red algae, they don't eat green much, but will remove the red turf completely.

1 for every 10 gallons is plenty.
Place them on the rocks, then redirect their effort back to rocks weekly.

Uncle, you are correct. I have 4 turbos snails, and at least 1 appears to like the red turf algae. The other graze a little and move off.
I am thinking about turning off the light or reducing the length they are on. What is the light requirements for turbo snails?

Uncle, you are correct. I have 4 turbos snails, and at least 1 appears to like the red turf algae. The other graze a little and move off.
I am thinking about turning off the light or reducing the length they are on. What is the light requirements for turbo snails?

None that I know of......
Mexican for the red....+ lowering nutrients N&P as well.
Mexicans the only one that eliminated all red hair in about 30 days.

Last edited:
Back