Algae Issue

Bugsy_Barboza

I have been battling some algae issues nothing too serious but hoping that nip it in the butt before it gets serious. I had some brown algae on my sand and the film that gets on my glass, wave makers, return n such. Lately tho, I had cyno pop up in 2 spots on my sandbed. Very small spots but in the past week the two spots have gotten bigger. Setup a refuge last week with chaeto & Fiji mud. The cyno spots are relatively close but both on the right side of the tank.... I've raised my lights (LEDs) to about 14inches above the water (just raised today) were about 2-3inches lower. I have 60lbs of sand in a 75gal tank. I'm beginning to think I should remove all but a thin layer of sand. Anyone have any other suggestions? I've dialed back my lights a hr a day. But lights are on the sunset to moonset.... I'm more concerned about the cyno than the brown algae. But really would like to figure this out.... Thanks in advance.

Sometimes it likes dead spots, moving the power heads around can help keep cyano from getting comfortable. Assuming you have enough current to begin with.

Nipping in the bud is good, but a little bit of that stuff is normal too.
The brown stuff might just be diatoms, they usually go away on their own after the sand and rocks get settled in. Assuming your water is pure.

I have been battling some algae issues nothing too serious but hoping that nip it in the butt before it gets serious. I had some brown algae on my sand and the film that gets on my glass, wave makers, return n such. Lately tho, I had cyno pop up in 2 spots on my sandbed. Very small spots but in the past week the two spots have gotten bigger. Setup a refuge last week with chaeto & Fiji mud. The cyno spots are relatively close but both on the right side of the tank.... I've raised my lights (LEDs) to about 14inches above the water (just raised today) were about 2-3inches lower. I have 60lbs of sand in a 75gal tank. I'm beginning to think I should remove all but a thin layer of sand. Anyone have any other suggestions? I've dialed back my lights a hr a day. But lights are on the sunset to moonset.... I'm more concerned about the cyno than the brown algae. But really would like to figure this out.... Thanks in advance.

Whenever I have algae and it starts to bother me, I manually scrape it off where I can and do a large water change to manually remove a lot of it. Everything remaining, I let the filtration system do its thing.

I find that's the best thing to do. Unless you are overfeeding and/or having the lights on for way too long, dialing both down is fine. Otherwise, you'll start to slow down the growth of live stock, and potentially harm them.

But yeah. I do really don't have that much of an issue with seeing algae in the aquarium though, so my approach would be different from yours. If you're someone who don't want to see any of it at all, then more drastic measures are needed. If you don't really mind, then well, it's not that important to keep it clear.

Yep, I left out... I did move wave makers around&I added a extra. The cyno has movement (waving around) others corals on the bottom of sand move well. Have 2 rw 8's. 1 at full strength other at 6/8. And another at the top of tank (generic power head to jus stir water for oxygen) movement is fine. IMO. Don't know how to exactly judge but like I said fine in my eyes since adjusted. And I do use RODI water. All parameters check out fine.

I'm really just concerned about cyno. The diatoms on sand bed aren't severe & not a concern. Cyno however popped up out of no where after a gobie got killed. Got it out as soon as I noticed. That was 3 weeks ago. Then this popped up 2 weeks ago. And haven't been able to get it gone.

You can have lots of flow and still get cyno in the sand. Siphon it out and stay vigilant. I got a few cucumbers to help. They make short work of it.

Just something to think about, you didn't mention that you test for phosphates. Might need to test for that and see what the test reveals. you might consider running GFO. Also how much are you feeding?

When I mentioned all water parameters test fine, that included phosphates. Using api and it tests 0. But for algae to grow there has to be some phosphates. I will try to get a pic up today. But I don't know how to post a pic on here.

See where it says go advanced under where you type your reply?
Do that, and then click "manage attachments" a little below where you type
That opens another tab or window wher you can "choose file" and upload
When you go back to the first tab where your reply would get typed you should see the file attached and when you post your reply it should be there.

Back