Algae: Need a good quality phosphate remover.

I used GFO in a canister filter by adding carbon to the filter bag, it never clumped up on me.

I recently used the blue life phosphate remover because I had high phosphates. I used it once or twice to get my phosphates down and everything seemed fine. I used it again a few weeks ago and lost a tang right after, but not sure if it was because of that or because I just upgraded my tank and he may have been stressed.

I had heard that with the blue life and other products you need a really good filter to make sure you extract the chemical from the water.

John

I used all kinds of Po4 media,Rowa,Bulk Reef Supply,& the ONLY thing that worked 4 me was,& is PuraPhoslok.

Ryan from BRS emailed me back and recommends the pelleted form of GFO for use in systems where there is no tumbling. So the pellets would work better in a canister as they won't clump.

It's weird though, I have never had any clumping of GFO in my canister in the 9 months I have used it, and the Pura Phoslock is not pelleted. Maybe that is because there is a good deal of water flowing through my Eheim (Professional II model which lists it has 250 gph output) I wonder how common clumping is, and whether it affects the performance of GFO?

JPags, sorry about your Tang. Sounds to me like it was probably stress. I'm not sure what you mean about having to extract the chemicals from the water... does Blue Life add something to their GFO?

Blue Life is a liquid that's added to the tank to cause phosphate to combine with lanthanum and precipitate. Some people prefer to capture the precipitate in some way. Otherwise, the phosphate remains in the system, although perhaps it won't get back into the water column.

Clumping will reduce the effectiveness of GFO by reducing the surface area available for binding, at least that's very likely. Binding also makes the reactor hard to clean.

Back