Algae on my Kenya Tree

Cheebs

Hey folks,

I moved my kenya tree to a new loacation recently, and as it was getting used to the new spot it was more closed up than usual for a couple days, which was expected. However, my light timer apperently decided to skip it's shutting off phase for whatever reason, so I had a little extra algae around the tank for a bit. It's all fixed now, but a thin film of algae seems to have coated the kenya tree while it was closed up, and now it looks like it's having troubled extending. I'm just looking for a way of getting rid of it without harming it, because my cleanup crew doesn't really go near it. Is there some kind of freshwater dip I could do do clean it off? Or should I jsut wait it out and let it do it's thing?

Thanks.

Update- It's not looking so good. It seems like some type of algae or cyano (brown stringy stuff) It coating most of the tree, preventing it from opening up. Should I move it to an area with more flow?

Did you get rid of the algae on your kenya tree? I had this same problem several weeks ago as well and finally just pulled it out of the tank as it began to fall over and looked as though it had died.

One of my Toadstools did this-- it was about 2 weeks like that. I just kept blowing it off with a turkey baster, and eventually it started coming out again.

I have no idea what triggered it either. It's on a rock with a clone that's exactly the same size and that one was fine. It had algae growing on it and was shrinking. It's taken it a month to get back to it's original self. :/

Back