Algae Only Growing on Back Glass

Jmunk

Tank is over 5 years old now, always struggled with algae issues. Kinda just at my wit's end here. Coral are actually all doing really well and growing (red monti's, few chalices, duncans/frogspawn, leathers, sun corals, acans), and no algae on the rocks almost at all, but algae is all over the back and somewhat side glass.

Here are all the measurements:

Alk: 9dkh

Calc: 430

PO4: 1 - always been high - I'm assuming this is where the problem lies, but I'm not sure the source of it.

Nitrate: 2-3

Side notes:

90G tank - two clownfish, chromis, scopas tang, triggerfish, mag. foxface.

Feeding - I feed twice a day (4PM and 11PM) - each feeding, I do a half a cube and a few minutes of feeding pinches of dry pellets). I know feeding is the most common cause of algae issues. From looking at videos of people like BRS, and even reading posts here, I'm honestly not entirely sure feeding can be entirely blamed, especially for a more established system. It's possible I am way overfeeding though, so let me know.

Window - there IS two windows that shine (especially in the morning) sunlight into the tank. I've heard people say mixed things about the actual effect this can have, but I figured I'd mention it.

Equipment - In the sump, I have a Reef Octopus 200INT skimmer, and one ceramic block.

Any ideas here? Is it just feeding? I'd like to get a refugium but I don't have room in the sump for one at all. Running out of ideas here and I hate looking at an extremely ugly but otherwise healthy and growing tank.

Are you feeding anything green, using phytoplankton or spirulina in the food? That can cause a minor algae bloom. It'll fade out if you stop with the green.

Well, I do feed seaweed extreme pellets for my foxface and my scopas tang. That could be a contributor?

Yep. It sure could The tang might do better on a macro algae in a clip. Ditto the foxface. But you might want to get that foxface moved on: they are killers (venomous top spine) when they outgrow the tank and they can turn without over warning. Had one. Got the bloody teeshirt.

Last edited:
Back