Algae problem/ zoas not opening

Nicholas41

So my tank has been growing this nasty "bushy" brownish stingy algae for the past week and it has gotten worse and worse. Now all of my zoas are closed up. Any suggestions?

DSC09321_zps8509ccf4.jpg

DSC09322_zpsada494b0.jpg

DSC09323_zps18d1d464.jpg

Nicholas41

The flow is good, I have two Koralia 1400gph pumps on the tank. The algae is even growing on the koralias and the tank wall on the back.

I'd put snails in but my fish would eat them. I considering putting in a crap ton of bluelegs as a snack/cleanup crew.

barriosman

One of my toadstools are acting up due to hair algae as well. Water parameters and competition with the algae for nutrients are probably the cause.

Dapg8gt

Looks like Dino's to me ( dinoflagellates...spelling?) I used hydrogen peroxide and it was gone in a week. Do your research on treatments for Dino's if it is them. I'm sure someone else will chime in. Good luck. Sand looks like Dino's other or all could be diatom's..

Ali :D

And that's why god/evolution (depends how your wired!) created the urchin.

Are you running biopellets?

Postal

looks like dino's to me ( dinoflagellates...spelling?) i used hydrogen peroxide and it was gone in a week. Do your research on treatments for dino's if it is them. I'm sure someone else will chime in. Good luck. Sand looks like dino's other or all could be diatom's..

+1

Nicholas41

Thanks so far. I have 3 pincushion urchins and a longspine :D.

To top it off my return pump broke 2 days back so there is no filtration at the moment until my replacement from reeflo arrives. I'll look up dinos in a bit.

Dapg8gt

That's prob a good number to use as you should account for displacement of LR and sand ETC.. Sucks about your return pump. I have a cheap standby to use if it ever happens to me. Might be a good idea to try to find a used one to have for back up.

As for the regimen I saw no sighns after 5 days but continued to a 7 day course with a nice water change at the end.. Worked like a charm. Haven't seen a lick of it since. I also started dosing NOPoX on both my tanks and my levels of nitrate and phosphate are perfect. 0 nitrate and .25 phosphate. I've been feeding my frag tank daily with coral frenzy alternated with oyster feast and my SPS are going nuts and after 2 weeks my nitrates are still reading zero. It's fun to feed daily and not need to worry about rogue algae. Good luck with the Dino's the H202 should knock it out.

Nicholas41

I have an old pump, but I'd have to re do the plumbing just to hook it up for a few days. My harlequin tusk kept skimming the surface of the tank tonight so I setup a large airpump. I guess between no flow to the sump and a massive amount of Dinos the supply of air was highly diminished. When I checked back 30 minutes later he was doing just fine.

Thanks for all the help. I'll post up as the treatment continues.

Dapg8gt

No problem good luck hope it all works out..

If you weren't on the other side of the continent I would give you a loaner pump lol..

Nicholas41

Right now I am only running my blue led strip in the morning and night, and I let the tank pick up natural light during the day. I've been dosing with hydrogen peroxide (half in the morning, and half at night). So far none has grown back where I cleaned it off.