Algae problems

youngreef180

I am having some problems with a brown somewhat slimy algae growing on the rocks and sand.

Picture156.jpg

Picture155.jpg

youngreef180

The tank should have plenty of flow. Somewhere around 20 times a hour turnover. The tank is 180 gallon with probably little over a 100lbs of live rock straight out of my old tank that was probably approaching 4 yrs old. When the rock was moved into the new setup was a little over 3 months ago. Also quite abit of live sand was used too. Total sand bed depth averages one and a half inches Heres pics of the whole 3 month old setup.

Picture150.jpg

Any ideas as to why this is flourishing would be great.

youngreef180

I just went and tested everything to be sure.

ammonia 0
nitrite 0
nitrate 0
dkh 10
phosphate 0
salinity 1.026
calcium 375

Picture.jpg

youngreef180

Seems like maybe only the last week or so its gotten real noticeable ,and now it seems to have got out of control in the last couple of days.

blackhemi35003

Did you just add saltwater? Silica can contribute to a bloom. But the thing is if you have used the same salt then it shouldn't be that. Unless you have changed brands I would not expect that unless someone at the plant that makes the salt was having a bad Monday and put a little extra in.

youngreef180

Just this small nest of what I guess is Chaeto not real sure though the guy at the lfs said its better than caulerpa. The flow through there is real slow and I leave that light on 24/7.

Picture144.jpg

blackhemi35003

Yes that is Chaeto. Me I like Caulerpa better. I have never had any luck with Chaeto doesn't grow that fast for me. Caulerpa I can watch it grow. Bad thing about the Caulerpa it can go asexual on you and then you have a much bigger problem.
DSCF0314.jpg

I would see if you can get a couple Poly Filters (http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/prod_display.cfm?c=3578+4136+4335&pcatid=4335) at your LFS to get whatever thats feeding that alage out. I would also get some more of the Chaeto to starve out the bad. Also a water change would help.

youngreef180

So where all can you get silicates from. Possibly old filters on a R/o unit? Wondering because this tank uses alot of top of water that my R/o unit supplies.

Triterium

I made a post in the other forum, but to answer your silicate question...

Silicates are often high in tap water.

Diatoms are a form of algae that use silica to produce their cell wall.

From your pictures, it does not appear to be diatoms.

Triterium

It is more effective to produce unfavorable conditions for the algae you want to get rid of, then trying to use macroalgae to "compete" with it. This is especially true when you have undetectable nutrient levels.

youngreef180

So if this is red cyano bacteria what can you do to try and get rid of it. It is getting on everything including my frags.

Triterium

It is usually pretty easy to remove from corals by directing the flow of a powerhead at them.

My advice, do as much manual damage to it by lightly stirring the surface of the sand bed. Yes it will grow back, but eventually it won't. This is how I have always dealt with cyano. You could also try tweaking the tank parameters (temperature, salinity, etc) and see how that works.

I'm definately not the expert on how to get rid of it, so don't qoute me on anything ;)