Algae question

mosssw

Hello all,

Could you please tell me what kind of Algae this is sticking up? And how to get rid of it? Pic one is very zoomed, you can see it in front of the Xenia in the full picture.

Thank you
Shelley

191819algae.jpg

191819algae_2.jpg

Last edited:
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=12842831#post12842831 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Bambalam
+1

If this is the only patch of it you have, I would just remove it manually. If you have a lot of it, elevated levels of magnesium have been reported to work. JMO, HTH

I agree also but I am curious as to how long your tank has byeen running. Algae is usually a sign of phosphates and nitrates. If your tank is just cycling then this is a normal course of events.
If your tank has been up for over two months then you need to find out where you are importing nitrates and phosphates
this thread might help

http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=1329802

Capn_hylinurand all

This is a new tank running 5 weeks. Water parameters have been great and we have no fish yet. We have 16 snails, 1 Emerald crab and 6 hermit crabs. Oh we were told it is not necessary to do water changes quite yet with these readings and no fish … Correct?

Parameters as of Friday:

Ammonia = 0
Sp gravity = 1.025
Nitrite = 0
Nitrate = 0
PH = 8.3
Ca = 400
KH = 9
Phosphates = 0

Thanks again!

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=12843429#post12843429 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by mosssw
Capn_hylinurand all

This is a new tank running 5 weeks. Water parameters have been great and we have no fish yet. We have 16 snails, 1 Emerald crab and 6 hermit crabs. Oh we were told it is not necessary to do water changes quite yet with these readings and no fish … Correct?

Parameters as of Friday:

Ammonia = 0
Sp gravity = 1.025
Nitrite = 0
Nitrate = 0
PH = 8.3
Ca = 400
KH = 9
Phosphates = 0

Thanks again!

It is usually recommended that you do a water change after your cycle has completed--5 or 6 weeks is a great change
Phosphates can be zero and if you see signs of algae it just means they are consuming them as fast as they are being produced
In this stage of you cycling you should be fine by taking the rock out and giving it a good scrub as someone suggested above

Back