Alk low

gareth.hubbarde

My alk is low at around 6.7 but calcium is high end of 470. I have kent 2 part nano reef solution which will fix alk but it also contains calcium. Am worried that if I use it the calcium will go to unsafe levels.
Is there a way to correct alk without risking calcium, and should I use my nano reef solution?

94litre kent marine bio reef
17kg live rock
4kg sand, 2kg as live.
Filter floss
1000 l/pH return pump
100w heater
Hydor 3200 wave maker 2800 lph
Tmc aquabar t series leds:
Fiji purple 80%
Reef white 80%

1 Mexican turbo snail
1 turbo snails
3 red legged hermit crab?
1 blue legged hermit
2 nassarius snails
2 super nassarius

1 lawnmower blenny
1 hi fin goby
1 Tiger pistol shrimp
1 red fire shrimp
1 skunk cleaner shrimp
1 bengai cardinal
49a034124e929354a05461c6aacd24bf.jpg

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk

You can use Baking Soda. Here are two calculators:

http://reef.diesyst.com/chemcalc/chemcalc.html

https://www.bulkreefsupply.com/reef-calculator

Don't go all at once from 6.7 to 8/9. Go slow over the course of time. Just mix the prescribed amount of Baking Soda w/ RODI or salt water from the tank and pour into the filtration or sump area.
Thanks for the reply, great help. Will raising alk bring down calcium levels? What level should I aim for is around 8.5 ok? Over what period of time would you suggest, a week, couple of weeks? Should I still use my 2 part nano reef solution?
Sorry loads of questions.

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk

Most reefers suggest keeping Cal, Alk, & Mag between the recommended ranges found here: http://www.reefkeeping.com/issues/2004-05/rhf/

When beginning dosing, don't target specific values as they can be tough to achieve and can create big swings. I see no prob bringing your Alk from 6.7 to 8 over the course of a week or two. Keep in mind if you are still dosing 2 part, you're adding additional Alk as well. (Don't over do it too fast) Keep an eye on Mag during this process too.

Once you are within the ranges, you need to know consumption rates. If you don't already have those, step one is to get the parameters in the range. Step two, stop dosing for a few days and test at the end of say 4 or 5 days. Take the differences in test values divided by the number of days = daily consumption rate.

Definitely check Mg first and make sure it's at least 1290. You certainly don't want to add any Ca++ as your levels are a bit above ideal. The goal should be ALK 8-9dkh, CA 420ppm, and MG 1290ppm. With as small of a tank as you have and the lack of stony corals, water changes should keep your parameters in check. This is assuming your using Instant Ocean Plain or Reef Crystals. I would recommend a few 20-25% water changes once a week to get your parameters back in check.

Mg can be added, I use Seachem magnesium to keep my Mg at 1290ppm because I use Instant Ocean plain. I also use kalkwasser as top off water to keep my alk and ca in range, but I also have SPS and a clam and a ton of LPS.

I would do a small water change and retest.
Most salt mixes put your parameters on par.....maybe the test is a bit out.....

I would do a small water change and retest.
Most salt mixes put your parameters on par.....maybe the test is a bit out.....

Instant Ocean tests out at 1110 magnesium, I always had to dose mag to keep my calc and all in check.

Yup, your right, that's why I don't use Instant Ocean anymore, last 14 months using Vibrant Sea which is mixing up right on point, and is overall cheaper....I have not dosed anything since 14 months provided I do a 10-15% water change...

Back