All glass co 75g drilling?

Photo_John

I have a "all glass aquarium co." 75g tank. I want to drill overflow holes in the back side of the tank. Does anyone know if this glass is tempered? There is a sticker thats says "do not drill bottom, tempered glass" I cant find contact info for the manufacturer to ask, I was hoping someone would have personal experience.

I am sorry I dont have an actual answer for you but I came across something about that here a few days ago. There was a listing of the manufactures and the tank sizes each builds and whether or not it has a tempered bottom and or sides. I cant find it right now though, maybe someone else will know where it was and post the link here for you

I know for a fact it is not. All Glass Aquarium is also known as Aqueon, in case you would like to shoot them an email or call them.

I had my AGA 75 drilled a couple weeks ago with no issue :)

I believe all glass makes a tank called the 75E (in addition to the regular 75) which has tempered glass, but I think you will probably be fine.

the AGA 75 is out of production and has been replaced by the 75E.

there is a thread on drilling AGA 75 tanks where this is discussed in explicit detail. late february. the location of tempered panes is different.

you could also call aqueon to get the definitive answer straight from the horse's mouth.

The bottom pane of a 75E is tempered. The "E" means economy. The tank companies started using tempered glass because it is so much thinner, thus cheaper to ship.

If there is a sticker on the bottom of the tank that says not to drill, I would not. You can drill the back or sell the tank and buy a RR or some that does not have a tempered bottom.

I had the same question and emailed them, below is the reply.

Hello Scott,

None of the sides are tempered on the aquariums, however, the bottom is. If you have anymore questions please feel free to contact us at 1-800-255-4527.

Thanks,
Star

Star Wallowing Bull

Technical Support

Central Aquatics

800-255-4527/414-421-9670 Ext 1205

sbull@central-aquatics.com

You can't drill tempered glass, it will shatter. That's why it's such a big deal.

I've heard of a few ways to tell if it's tempered, usually involving a couple pairs of polarized sunglasses and a bright light.

The easiest way is to look for the sticker that says it's tempered :)

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=12227472#post12227472 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by mt59102
None of the sides are tempered on the aquariums, however, the bottom is. If you have anymore questions please feel free to contact us at 1-800-255-4527.
Star Wallowing Bull
Technical Support
Central Aquatics
800-255-4527/414-421-9670 Ext 1205
Well that's a less than totally helpful reply, as the Central Aquatics distributor seems to have contradicted what the Aqueon Factory Rep and the Aqueon Factory Tech support people told me. (see the other thread).

I was told by the factory that the small tanks they are not tempered anywhere. On the large tanks none of the side panels are tempered, but some of the bottoms are tempered and some are not, depending on the model. But they all have the do not drill labels on them, which only confuses the issue.

FYI I was told that the AGA 75E has a tempered bottom. AGA 75 does not.

Maybe.

If she was referring to one specific tank, the use of the word "aquarium" would have been more clear. Her use of the word "aquariums" obfuscates the issue. From a diagrammatic standpoint, the construct of her sentence says that none of the tanks' sides are tempered but all of the bottoms are tempered. We all know that's not right. At any rate, I don't want to hijack the thread into nitpicking about linguistics. Maybe she was just doing the best she could and overlooked what appeared to be an insignificant detail.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=12225731#post12225731 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by gbsteve
Just an FYI. ALL, all-glass 55 gallon aquariums have tempered panels on all panes.

That is not true, the 55 I have in my garage is not tempered. ONLY the tanks that came as a "kit" are tempered all around. It so happens that the "kit" tanks use 3/16s glass to make the tank lighter and cheaper. The tanks that you buy off the shelf are only tempered on the bottom and are 1/4" all around.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=12229954#post12229954 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by pescadero
Well that's a less than totally helpful reply, as the Central Aquatics distributor seems to have contradicted what the Aqueon Factory Rep and the Aqueon Factory Tech support people told me. (see the other thread).

I was told by the factory that the small tanks they are not tempered anywhere. On the large tanks none of the side panels are tempered, but some of the bottoms are tempered and some are not, depending on the model. But they all have the do not drill labels on them, which only confuses the issue.

FYI I was told that the AGA 75E has a tempered bottom. AGA 75 does not.

When I talked to them All Glass a little over a year ago, the tech stated that anything 38gals and up is tempered on the bottom.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=12230052#post12230052 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by pescadero
Maybe.

If she was referring to one specific tank, the use of the word "aquarium" would have been more clear. Her use of the word "aquariums" obfuscates the issue. From a diagrammatic standpoint, the construct of her sentence says that none of the tanks' sides are tempered but all of the bottoms are tempered. We all know that's not right. At any rate, I don't want to hijack the thread into nitpicking about linguistics. Maybe she was just doing the best she could and overlooked what appeared to be an insignificant detail.

She could have been saying "aquariums" as in, "The sides are not tempered on the 75g aquariums." This would be an appropriate reply if someone had asked a question regarding "All-glass 75g aquariums."

Back