All my corals closing up but parameters fine!

jakesanchez68

So yesterday I added in two frags of frogspawn and some nuclear green palys. My tank is still pretty new, I would say around like 3-4 weeks old and has some corals in there like some softies, some the frospawns, and couple sps like birdsnest and monti cap. Today just a little while ago, each coral started closing up for some reason like one after the other each time I kept checking. The only things I really did today that would be different from the other days was just reaching into my HOB filter to grab the filter sponge and the chemi pure blue bag which I just washed up in some ro/di water. Other than that, all I did was just have my hands in the tank to reglue the frogspawn frags that a snail had knocked down.

Again, my tank is still really new and has been going through a brown algae/diatom bloom this past week. I did do a water change this past Monday. I also have a single clownfish in there, along with a hermit and two snails, nothing is dead.

I checked ammonia and it's reading 0 right now and tempature and salinity are fine. I don't really test for any other parameters like alkalinity/magnesium/etc. since I never did that with my last nano reef and saw success with that one. Could there be any reason for this? What should I do to help out a situation like this? Some of the corals have opened up like mainly zoas, palys, and one frogspawn (not one of the new ones) are all opening up again, but other frags like duncans, tree coral, and the polyps on the birdsnest are closed up right now.

ANY help would be great!

In a small tank, I've noticed that things like glue or disturbing the filter can have an impact on the corals for a few days. I would give it a few more days to settle down.
You should probable start checking alkalinity(Salifert is good) if you want corals to be healthy.
You could change 10-20% water w/out disturbing anything--just take it out and slowly put back.

3-4 weeks? Most tanks dont even fully cycle during this time. My guess is corals were added way to early to the tank.

Back