All reefers in NC & SC

Status
Not open for further replies.
Down the road from you in Shelby.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=11398028#post11398028 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Runfrumu
anyone near boiling springs NC? I've met a couple of people around here, but not many.

Galaxea and hammer frags anyone?

Galaxea and hammer frags anyone?

Hey guys I just cut up my rather large green metallic looking Galaxea and am looking to get rid of a good number of frags(8-9) from 1 1/2" to a good 3x3" frag with a bunch of sizes in between. Anyone interested in these possibly before we take them to LFS for credit?

Can send pics later of what we got after fragging it and keeping a rather large piece.

Have 2 tan with green tips hammer frags with 4-5 heads on one and 3-4 on other after accidentally breaking my wifes 30-40+ head hammer while moving it. Also seeing if any interest before we take them to LFS
Came from the orig colony seen in the pic of my avatar from 2 yrs ago

Re: Galaxea and hammer frags anyone?

Re: Galaxea and hammer frags anyone?

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=11445151#post11445151 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Phyxius
Hey guys I just cut up my rather large green metallic looking Galaxea and am looking to get rid of a good number of frags(8-9) from 1 1/2" to a good 3x3" frag with a bunch of sizes in between. Anyone interested in these possibly before we take them to LFS for credit?

Can send pics later of what we got after fragging it and keeping a rather large piece.

Have 2 tan with green tips hammer frags with 4-5 heads on one and 3-4 on other after accidentally breaking my wifes 30-40+ head hammer while moving it. Also seeing if any interest before we take them to LFS
Came from the orig colony seen in the pic of my avatar from 2 yrs ago
I wish I drove I'd be real interested in both the hammers and the galaxea , I'm in greensboro

Re: Re: Galaxea and hammer frags anyone?

Re: Re: Galaxea and hammer frags anyone?

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=11445171#post11445171 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by dne63
I wish I drove I'd be real interested in both the hammers and the galaxea , I'm in greensboro
how much are you aking on the hammers and 2 or 3 of the galaxea

Probably 15 each for the hammers and anywhere from 5-25 on the Galaxea depending on its size. Once they get settled again after being out of the water for the fragging I`ll post a pic with prices on each. They are about 80% back out just after 30 min or so but should be fully happy and extended again later this eve. They all came from this colony of it after I did the first break last week and still not fully extended. All the orig little frags in the pic have been sold but the new ones listed will be available. The large rock on the right was broken up into the multiples listed as well as a small piece from the left one. It just got to be two big for my tank after 2 yrs.
78452IMG_1840__Small_.JPG

Pic of it when not bothered before taking it out of water and fragging it:
78452Picture_573__Small_.jpg

I have had a few emails and PMs for pictures and prices.PM me with your email and I will send them to you instead of posting all of this here. Or I can send you link to them if that would be better

Have a good Christmas everyone!!!!!!

Hey all. Hope everyone enjoyed the Christmas holidays. I have to thin out the cheato in my sump so if anyone wants some, PM me. I has a lot for creepy crawlies, copepods and small stars. I'm near Southpoint Mall.

Still have a bunch of the Galaxea frags available if anyone is interested. Noticed tonight they are already sprouting new heads where the breaks were made. Can email a pic with sizes and prices.

As Vice-President and Saltwater Chairman of the Raleigh Aquarium Society I would like to extend a personal invitation to you to attend the 24th Annual Carolina Aquarium Workshop February 29 - March 2, 2008. This year's Workshop has a new venue, NCSU's Centennial Campus. You won't want to miss this regional event featuring national speakers! Brian Plankis of ProjectDIBS and James Fatherree are the featured saltwater speakers this year. This is our best saltwater line up ever! There will also be a fragging demonstration and frag swap.

Please visit our website at http://raleighaquariumsociety.org/workshop/index.html for complete details.

Awesome. I was hoping you would be able to get Fatheree. Yee haw! NC is stepping up in the reefing world. Maybe next year we can get Calfo or Delbeek.

Hi All,
I have a couple 40B that I was going to set up in a prop system, but plans have changed. Paid $100 apiece. Will sell for $75 each or $140 for both. Also have one new 20L. $30. I'm in Chapel Hill. PM me if interested. Thanks!

The Carolina Aquarium Workshop XXIV
February 29th, March 1st & 2nd, 2008

The schedule is as follows:

Friday, February 29th, 2008

12:30pm - Native Fish Collecting trip - Meet at NCSU Centennial Campus, Engineering Bldg 1 in the lobby area (Note: you will need to get a $2 parking permit at the guard booth for Friday only) and return by 5:30pm. Equipment provided, but bring dry clothes, boots/ waders, buckets, and dipnets if you have them. Contact Gerald Pottern at Gbpottern@yahoo.com or (919) 556-8845 to sign up and for further information.

6:30pm - Workshop Registration opens
Frag Swap/Frag Demo floating
Feel free to post what you are planning to bring here:
http://carolinafishtalk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=3901

7:30pm - Brian Plankis - Project DIBS. Brian Plankis is the founder of The Desirable Invertebrates Breeding Society (Project DIBS), a community dedicated to collaboration, distribution and education related to breeding marine invertebrates in captivity. Brian has been in the aquarium hobby for 12 years (7 years FW, 5 years SW) has been actively involved in captive breeding of aquarium inhabitants for most of those years. Brian has been an active member and a presenter for the Marine Aquarium and Reef Society of Houston (MARSH) and was involved in the Chicago Marine Aquarium Society (CMAS).

8:30pm - Scott Fellman
Here is a bio for him from IMAC
http://www.theimac.org/sfellman2008.htm

Saturday, March 1st, 2008

8:30am Workshop Registration opens

Saturday there will be fragging demos throughout the day in addition to all the scheduled presentations. We will provide some corals or, if you have a coral that you would like to learn to frag, you may bring your own.

9:00am - Mark Denaro - How to set up a Planted Aquarium (demo). Mark Denaro has been keeping freshwater aquariums since 1970 and marine aquariums since 1976. He has propagated over 100 species of freshwater fish and a wide array of freshwater plants. Mark has also propagated over 20 invertebrate species and 7 species of marine fish in his tanks. Mark is a past president of the Indianapolis Aquarium Society, and is a well-known speaker and judge with 20 years of experience in the pet industry. He currently operates Anubias Design, an online retailer of new, rare,interesting, fishes and plants. After the demonstration, we will be auctioning off the tank!

10:30am - Stephan Tanner â€"œ Keeping & Breeding Catfish and Loaches. Stephan Tanner has been a fish keeper since the mid 1980’s. In his native Switzerland he got his first tropical fish tank when he was 14, the “tank fever” has never left him since. He has a Master’s in Behavioral Ecology & Molecular Biology and a Ph.D. in Human Molecular Genetics. He was the editor for the quarterly publication BSSW Report from 1994-2006. He lives in Columbus, OH and operates Swiss Tropicals Limited Liability Company. He has bred 2 species of loaches and is working on assembling the largest collection of Ancistrus in the US.

11:30am - Mini Plant Auction (Items Donated to the Club Only)

12:00pm - Lunch (on your own)

1:00pm - Diana Walstad â€"œ "Mycobacteria "Fish TB". Diana Walstad is the author of Ecology of the Planted Aquarium who comes from a family that always had tanks in the house and a pond in the backyard. Diana says she never had any luck with aquarium plants until she started using a soil underlayer in the tanks. Plant growth was phenomenal- like nothing Diana had seen before. With the robust plant growth, she found that she could keep fish healthy without a lot of tedious work (water changes, gravel cleaning, etc). Diana began combing the scientific literature for more information and started writing articles for the Aquatic Gardener Association. One thing led to another. She first published Ecology of the Planted Aquarium in 1999. The book has done well. It has been translated into German and Italian and is now available as an e-book. Diana is trained in microbiology and spent many years doing medical research. She works now as a cell biologist for the federal government.

2:00pm - Mark Denaro - Wild Bettas and other Anabantoids. Mark Denaro has been keeping freshwater aquariums since 1970 and marine aquariums since 1976. He has propagated over 100 species of freshwater fish and a wide array of freshwater plants. Mark has also propagated over 20 invertebrate species and 7 species of marine fish in his tanks. Mark is a past president of the Indianapolis Aquarium Society, and is a well-known speaker and judge with 20 years of experience in the pet industry. He currently operates Anubias Design, an online retailer of new, rare,interesting, fishes and plants.

2:30 pm Bubble tip anemone propagation demonstration

3:00pm - Ken Davis â€"œ Collecting in Uruguay. Ken Davis is a member of the Board of Trustees of the American Cichlid Association, serving as Chairman in 1999 & 2004. He’s been President of the Atlanta Area Aquarium Association since 1998 and was elected to the Board of Directors of the North American Discus Association in 2005. He’s been a member of the American Livebearer Associa- tion for many years. Ken keeps a variety of cichlids from Africa, Central & South America and many wild type and fancy livebearers, and discus. He currently has about 600 tanks in his fish hatchery

4:00pm - Mini Fish Auction (Items Donated to the Club Only)

5:00pm - Charles Nunziata - Soil Spawning Killifish of East Africa. Charles Nunziata, B.S., M.B.A is a general manager of a guidance and control system components manu- facturer. He has been an active hobbyist for more than 41 years, specializing in killifish for 35 of them. He is a Fellow, Life Member and Distinguished Member of the American Killifish Association and a long-time member of the British and German Killifish Associations, NANFA, the Suncoast Killifish Society and the Tampa Bay Aquarium Society. Charlie speaks often at regional shows and conventions and he has authored numerous articles published in various aquarium and killifish publications

6:30pm - Dinner -- Ray “Kingfish” Lucas â€"œ Laughing and Living with Fish-Heads! Ray “Kingfish” Lucas has been a hobbyist for 48 years, starting out when he was 13 breeding live bearing fish and quickly expanding into aquatic plants, then South American Cichlids, catfish, goldfish and Koi â€"œ and it’s still happening today! He has been active in numerous aquarium societies since the late 1950’s, including Buffalo Aquarium Society, Western NY Aquarium Society, Canadian Association of Aquarium Clubs, FAAS, North American Breeders Guild, AGA, the Dead Fish Society and many more. Ray traveled around the country for years to enter fish shows and then later as a speaker on many different topics. Ray retired from General Motors after 30 years and now travels around the country with Kingfish Services, a company he started in 1989 to promote the hobby and as a manufacturer’s spokesperson. He has traveled to Peru on collecting trips with Dr. David Schlesser and Margarita Tours. Besides fish Ray loves music, NASCAR, his grandkids, old cars (ask him about his 1951 4-door Merc) and being with good people. He still maintains 12 aquariums and 2 ponds.

Sunday, March 2nd, 2008

9:00amâ€"œ11:00am â€"œ Auction Registration â€"œ (All items must be registered by 11:00am)

11:00am â€"œ Auction begins. Rules for the auction can be found Here.

This year the event will be held at the (new location this year):
NC State University
Centennial Campus (<----click for a DETAILED map with the buildings, the parking deck, etc... in Adobe .pdf format )
Engineering Bldg 1
911 Partners Way
Raleigh, NC 27606

Directions to the new Workshop location at NCSU, Centennial Campus :

I-40 coming East
Take Gorman Street exit. Turn left onto Gorman. Turn right at third light onto Avent Ferry Road. Pass Trailwood Drive (light) and turn right at next light onto Varsity Drive and follow the Fish Meeting signs.

I-40 coming West
Take Lake Wheeler Road Exit; turn right onto Lake Wheeler. Turn left at first light onto Centennial Parkway; follow to end. Turn left on Avent Ferry Rd. Turn left at first light onto Varsity Drive and follow the Fish Meeting signs.

Inside the Raleigh Beltline (I-440)
Take Western Boulevard to Avent Ferry Road. Turn south (downhill). Turn left at the second light onto Varsity Drive and follow the Fish Meeting signs

The registration form can be found here

All this for $15.00 per person OR family
Student rate:$10.00 with a valid student ID
Saturday's dinner is $15.00 per person
Dinner Children Under 12 - $7.50 each

Suggested Accomodations:

Velvet Cloak Inn, 1505 Hillsborough Street (919)828-0333
Holiday Inn Brownstone 1707 Hillsborough Street (919)828-0811

Guys I need some info, Im headed out to Greenville this weekend and was hoping you guys could point me to some good LFS to check out. Any ideas?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back