All sponges reef safe ?

redspot321

In Memoriam
Hi everyone. I have Florida gulf rock and was wondering if I could possibly have some sponges that are not reef safe?

I have white, yellow, and orange sponges all over my LR.

There is something in the tank that seems to be irratating my other corals.

PICS OF SPONGES PLEASE

Many sponges are pretty nasty competitors. Since they don't have a whole lot of other options for defense and competition, most use some pretty toxic chemicals. There are a few that can out-compete and overgrow corals, but there are quite a few that can irritate them. If there are a lot of sponges then it's probably a good idea to run carbon or even ozone to control the chemical competition.

sponge-1.jpg

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=9816689#post9816689 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by greenbean36191
Many sponges are pretty nasty competitors. Since they don't have a whole lot of other options for defense and competition, most use some pretty toxic chemicals. There are a few that can out-compete and overgrow corals, but there are quite a few that can irritate them. If there are a lot of sponges then it's probably a good idea to run carbon or even ozone to control the chemical competition.

So could these "chemicals"
release into the water cloumn, causing my SpS to close up?

Ok so I guess its best to try and remove them all? My reef tank has been set up for 3 years now and havent had a problem. The sponges were not as big or as many at that time either though.

Still looking for pics of non reef safe sponges.

Anyone else had a problem with sponges?

Most sponges in aquaria aren't that bad. All I can suggest is checking by Melev's site for an ID.

Beyond that, you can try injecting the sponges with air. They have trouble with that.

Back