All tested levels O ppm Nitrite 0.25ppm

Squelch

Okay, I'm new to saltwater, 20 year freshwater guy. I thought my tank was completely cycled, as the diatom bloom is just now subsiding.

Tested Am=0ppm , Nitrate = 0ppm, Nitrate 0.25, Phos. 0ppm

PH 8.2 , Alk 9.5 to 10 and Calcium at 420 ish.

Any theory's about the Nitrite?

Did a 10% water change today with no change in the level.

Have 4 damsels that's all for stocking load.

Ed

Okay, I'm new to saltwater, 20 year freshwater guy. I thought my tank was completely cycled, as the diatom bloom is just now subsiding.

Tested Am=0ppm , Nitrate = 0ppm, Nitrate 0.25, Phos. 0ppm

PH 8.2 , Alk 9.5 to 10 and Calcium at 420 ish.

Any theory's about the Nitrite?

Did a 10% water change today with no change in the level.

Have 4 damsels that's all for stocking load.

Ed

Nitrates probably just being produced by nitrite-reducing bacteria. At that level it may be hard to see a clear change after a 10% water change. Assuming it is 0.25, a 10% water change would reduce it to 0.225 or so, which on most test kits would register as basically 0.25 anyways.

Nitrates probably just being produced by nitrite-reducing bacteria. At that level it may be hard to see a clear change after a 10% water change. Assuming it is 0.25, a 10% water change would reduce it to 0.225 or so, which on most test kits would register as basically 0.25 anyways.

+1 agreed

The title says nitrite is 0.25 ppm, but the post is a bit ambiguous. A reading of 0.25 ppm nitrite might mean a problem with a test kit, or the tank actually might be showing small amounts of nitrite in the water column. I had a tank that read small amounts of nitrite for years. I never knew why, but the nitrite kit read zero in my other tanks. Was it a testing error, or actually nitrite. I'll never know, but 0.25 ppm of nitrite is safe for the animals that we keep.

The title says nitrite is 0.25 ppm, but the post is a bit ambiguous. A reading of 0.25 ppm nitrite might mean a problem with a test kit, or the tank actually might be showing small amounts of nitrite in the water column. I had a tank that read small amounts of nitrite for years. I never knew why, but the nitrite kit read zero in my other tanks. Was it a testing error, or actually nitrite. I'll never know, but 0.25 ppm of nitrite is safe for the animals that we keep.

He means nitrate. :) I am positive.

Thanks for the prompt responses. I love this forum!....Sorry about the typo in my post. Yeah Nitrite still at 0.25ppm and I'm watching it every couple of days. Thanks again.

Back