almost ready for chaeto..sump build

AlexnLinda

wow, it was a fun weekend project. I started friday afternoon building 3/4 of the sump. Saturday night I started again and finished it. I'm waiting 48 hours for cure time before I do a leak check. here are a few pics..

e77e8322.jpg

e77e831e.jpg

made the teeth/fingers with a jigsaw..
e77e831c.jpg

e77e831a.jpg

I see that you have crushed coral in your sump. How has that worked for you as far as nutrient export? I was thinking of doing the same thing putting the crushed coral under my filter sock so I don't get any debris buildup within it. I also think it would help support a larger pod production.

the coral has worked great. i've had it for 9 months and never a problem. its messy to clean though. i think thats what most of the stores out in town use also but more crushed. only reason im changing is i needed a bigger sump and heard good things about chaeto/live sand.

Looks great! If I find I don't need my chiller I will have to get your help with adding on to my sump.

Where do you get your PVC piping here? Since all my PVC is US size I think it will be a pain or impassable to incorporate the use of metric sizes. Unless someone knows of a local place to get US size PVC.

there is a hardware store next to kinser that has all the pvc stuff you need then more.. I payed 1680 yen for all the pvc you see there and I have left over. My friend had the same problem with US sizes and metric, that store had a work around. I'll give you directions or meet you and help you find what you need.

I had to build a stand for the skimmer, it was too low so it wasn't really working..now the output is about 1.5" above water level.

but i do have a questions. the skimmer has a rio 2100 pump is that enough water flow into the skimmer or more? pump is rated at 675gph. how much air bubbles does it also need?

skimmers are a pain in the *** to dial in.. sounds like your pump should be enough. And from your pics, it looks like the bubbles are getting high enough. Just remember, it might take some tweeking to get it to skim the way you want it to. if you can adjust air or water output, just keep messing with them till its going good. and remember, it might take a while for it to start really skimming. mine takes about 2 hours to get going real good after I mess with it.

ok, I'll mess with the air and the height of the return line see what happens. other than that the chaeto is doing good, the tank is looking great. I tested the water today all is awesome. now i have to replace the wavemaker thing i installed the other day, its ugly need something better looking, its the one from the exchange. it was given to me so I used it.

anyone need a refuge/sump made?

hey when i transfer my stuff from my 55 to my 150 gal lets turn the tank into a refugium alex...i am down two anemones now, the carpet and the first one i had attached to each other and really messed each other up. lol

i guess I have to now that you want to make a refuge with the 55g. lol I'm down to convert it.. i have a sheet of 1/8" acrylic that should work for the baffles..

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=11133150#post11133150 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by TheDeparted
skimmers are a pain in the *** to dial in.. sounds like your pump should be enough. And from your pics, it looks like the bubbles are getting high enough. Just remember, it might take some tweeking to get it to skim the way you want it to. if you can adjust air or water output, just keep messing with them till its going good. and remember, it might take a while for it to start really skimming. mine takes about 2 hours to get going real good after I mess with it.

finally got the skimmer running good. well i think it is.. it was a pain trying to figure out how the pipes affected the water level. but I have it now..

cool. Ive been told that you want your simmate to be a little wet... personally I have mine dry, but thats just me. If I start having a big alage problem again, Ill probably start running it wet.

Back