alpha 170 - 7.5"?

t5Nitro

Is it ok to run this skimmer in the sump with a water level at 7.5" (with the skimmer in it).

I just made 5 gallons of water to add to the tank and it didn't quite get me to the 9" mark. :rolleyes:

Otherwise I can mix another 3 gallons in the next few hours and just add it and it'll be up there.

What level do you aim for? I've read some people do 8 and up to 10.

hey buddy.. yeah ure fine..
Ive been running mine for a couple of months now at like 6 inches.. Actually the water is right above the white T.
Ive been getting good skimmate

I just turned it on and it doesn't turn on!! It did with the original kit but after this upgrade kit that was sent with it... it does nothing.

Oh, the prop gets stuck if you screw the white piece on too far (they have the slots cut out to screw it down all the way....).

So how loose should the white part be from the pump? I unscrewed each of the 3 screws about 3 turns and it's fine with the volute turned out a little ways. If I try to completely screw in the volute the prop touches it and kicks it back out. Should the white piece not be screwed into the pump very far? On pictures they had it all the way back I thought. Guess not.

Oh, the prop gets stuck if you screw the white piece on too far (they have the slots cut out to screw it down all the way....).

So how loose should the white part be from the pump? I unscrewed each of the 3 screws about 3 turns and it's fine with the volute turned out a little ways. If I try to completely screw in the volute the prop touches it and kicks it back out. Should the white piece not be screwed into the pump very far? On pictures they had it all the way back I thought. Guess not.

Did you install the upgraded impeller? The original impeller will not work with the new volute. It sticks out too far.

Last edited:
Back