alternative to hermits?

dmh41532

Is there an alternative to hermits for my clean up crew? I am tired of them killing off my snails and having an algea bloom.

I like narsariis snails (I may have misspelled that). They are carnivores and will take care of any uneaten meaty foods or even a dead fish but won't bother anything else IME. It's really neat to watch them emerge from the sand bed like ghosts when they sense food. They also sift the sand bed- another benefit.

I learned to make it from my grandmother among all of her other recipes in my head. I use to make the 7 fishes every year (not from my tank lol) My family is from south philly. Only one from my generation (35 yrs old) that took interest on how to cook.

I digress, as other said use narcissus snails.

Ciao!

EDIT- That picture looks similar on how we make it..now I am hungry thanks!

the red legged or scarlet hermits are supposed to be quite dosile then there's the blue legged hermit crabs which are small, what hermit crabs do you have

I have the small ones, blue legs. The hermits the local fish store sell come in cerith snail shells, I've got a variety of shells the same size but they insist of cerith shells, so they kill them off, decide the really don't like the shell and im still left with dead snails. I had nassarius snails with my last tank before it crashed, I may try some. what im looking for is something that will pick off detritus and algea off the rocks. the hermits do a great job, but just aren't working out with my snails.

hermits are one of those hit or miss things, if they have gotten used to feeding on those particular snails I would imagine thats something they are used to now. You could possibly replace the hermits for different ones and hope they haven't picked up any bad habits also feeding them helps aswell.

they don't eat the snails, that's the thing. they just kill 'em, pick the snail out and let it go. doesn't seem to matter if they can use the shell or not.

They are also New York blue claw crabs and that is where I caught 80 of them. Then are in that sauce above.

Screw the sauce. Gotta do it how southern Marylanders do it - boil them in Old Bay crab seasoning and eat'em with butter. Nothing like cracking open the shell and claws to get to the good stuff. They're actually Chesapeake Bay Blue crabs.

Screw the sauce. Gotham do it how southern Marylanders do it - boil them in Old Bay crab seasoning and eat'em with butter. Nothing like cracking open the shell and claws to get to the good stuff. They're actually Chesapeake Bay Blue crabs.

I assume the other Paul is Italian too and Italians know how to cook. This is just how we like it. Dont get me me wrong I also enjoy crabs with old bay and I even like crabs sauté with butter, fresh garlic and white wine . Bottom line is that we all enjoy crabs but prepared differently.

-Paul D'Amore

They are great any way you cook them and luckily for me, they are very common in New York in the late summer. I caught about 80 of them in a few hours. My family is Sicilian and like many Sicilians we owned a sea food business. That is all we ate growing up and still do.

Back