aluminum foil to deflect heat?

Capt_Cully

Many voiced concern (as well as myself) with regard to my return plumbing. It runs across the center brace under some T5s. Mind you I have no fans going at this time. (They are installed just waiting for lifting help for the hood).

IMG_20111002_094547.jpg

If I put aluminum foil over the PVC do you think it would reflect heat or only help bake the pipe like a pie?

I haven't ruled out changing the plumbing if excessive heat is an issue.

reefman5511

Aluminum is a good medium to transfer heat. Without a backing to the foil of some sort I'm guessing you'll help bake the pvc. Insulation board covered with foil reflects heat since there's something to act as a thermal break.

Capt_Cully

That's the info I needed. Thanks.

I may reroute it to under the brace or just cut it back to the back wall of the tank if heat transfer is problematic after fans are installed.

Conesus_Kid

Premium Member
How hot does that pipe get? I don't see it as a problem. I ran similar plumbing under 4 overdriven T5s on my 75 for a couple years and it was never an issue.

Capt_Cully

It doesn't get THAT hot. But heat is an issue right now, granted I font have cooling fans at the moment. I am just working on cumulative solutions for heat reduction. Thought I'd pose the question.

pascal32

I'm not feeling that moving that pipe will make a big difference, though it is all gut, no facts to back it :)

put a high CFM fan on both sides of the hood to draw air through from left to right (or vica versa)

jfl14609

A few years ago i had a similiar problem I went to the store and bought some of this reflective tape there were two types one that was just like foil and the one I bought had a backer on it. it worked great