Aluminum T-Slot Stand

shadow1013

Hello everyone! I'm new here, and new to salt water. I just started a freshwater tank last month. I want to do a salt water tank but this will be at least a year away at the soonest. I'm only researching at this point.

I would love to make an aluminum t-slot stand. My question is how would you put the panels on the side of it? I have found a few and they look like it's attached one of three different ways. One is pre-drilled holes with thumb-screws that hold the panels into place. I'm not a big fan of this since you cannot get into it fast. The other ones I do like. I found videos with slots, like the ones Vertex used (Did they stop making tanks?), that goes down the track. Also there seems to be ones that are magnets.

http://www.atlantareefclub.org/forums/showthread.php?t=45577
http://glassbox-design.com/2009/3-unique-aquarium-builds-from-japan/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O2reUB6sguQ
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r5g9e_8wZy4

I was trying to message a member here, mhucasey, since he posted in the Show Me Your Stand thread here in the DIY forum but since I haven't made a post I couldn't contact him. So after I post this I'll send him a message, but if anyone else has any inputs or if mhucasey sees this then feel free to reply.

http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showpost.php?p=23685121&postcount=1193

Thanks!

I have similar questions. I love the look of these stands, and I am not a proficient woodworker.... Would love to get more info on how they are assembled and how they are skinned. Subscribed.

If it were me I would get very powerful magnets and glue one side to t-slot and counter-sink one into each corner of each panel. Glue it in their and just pop each side off as needed.

I used velcro to attach the panels.
Photo%20Feb%2008%2C%2012%2030%2037%20PM.jpg

Photo%20Feb%2008%2C%2012%2030%2029%20PM.jpg

Photo%20Feb%2008%2C%2012%2000%2033%20PM.jpg

I don't use the t slot product as it is not needed for aquarium stands. I use quick frame product. Can hold up aquariums much easier to work with than t slot. In fact it is used around the world to hold up aquariums but of coarse not here in the US.
Photo%20Apr%2020%2C%202%2026%2028%20PM.jpg

I don't use the t slot product as it is not needed for aquarium stands. I use quick frame product. Can hold up aquariums much easier to work with than t slot. In fact it is used around the world to hold up aquariums but of coarse not here in the US.

What size tank is this? I have been looking at this product for a new stand when I move. My tank is 36x24x22, about 85 gallons, and I was thinking this stuff would be a good option.

I've used Open V-Slot linear rails for CNC and 3D printers and it's very similar to whatever they've used under the tanks above. There's an online shop that sells them along with all manner of fixings. You could easily mount a linear actuator and lift your lights or whatever other crazy thing you wanted to do with it. There are cheaper alternatives but I find these are easy to get my hands on and they have great documentation on the site.

Store: http://openbuildspartstore.com/v-slot/

All different shapes and sizes:
V_Slot_40x40__45990.1429284184.164.164.jpg

Hide some wires with the channel covers:
DSC03677__53845.1405521289.164.164.JPG

They've got black as well if you prefer:
untitled.104__53368.1405390790.164.164.jpg

There are several aluminum extrusion brands that have tons of different connectors, hinges, caps, brackets, you name it. The brands I have used are Bosch, 80/20 and one more that I cannot remember the name of. I think 80/20 is available on eBay. When used correctly, it is plenty strong. There are also inserts that slide in the channels to accept different thickness panels. With a little ability....(cutting aluminum with a chopsaw and drilling/tapping), a lot can be done with this material. One drawback would be the cost.....a bit more expensive than a 2x4 base wrapped with plywood! This material is also great for lighting stands/mounts.

Amazon would come in at about $115 for building an open stand, with a shelf in the middle. (Basement sump.) I think I have more than that in my current stand, which is made of cedar.

If I were that have known about this material, I am sure I would have went this route.

What brand is the stuff you used and where can I find it?

I am in process of building stand with t slot and I bought all the material from 80/20 on ebay since they sell off lots of returned items for 75% off. I am building stand for my new tank which is 48"x48" approximately 300 gal tank. I am going with 1515 profile which is 1.5"x1.5". If you like watch the video on youtube by primoreefacrylic. he has build stand with same material but for 450 gal tank and he went with 3030 profile which is 3"x3". This will help you a lot in terms of how to design or what layout you should go with..

I have no experience with this stuff and looking at the Bosch stuff there are so many connectors that I get unsure of which ones to use. The ones he used look very simple

What brand is the stuff you used and where can I find it?
This is 80/20 quickframe.8020 Quick-Frame

It can be purchased all over the place.
Amazon Quick-frame
eBay Quick-frame

I went thru my local supplier where I buy it for my job as a maintenance man.
They will take the order then ship you the parts. On the 80/20 website there is a program you can download to calculate the weight bearing of your stand. 80/20 will even cut the 1"square tubing for you so you don't have too. You just take a rubber mallet and tap the pieces together. It is really simple.

Photo%20Apr%2003%2C%2011%2028%2024%20AM.jpg

Photo%20Apr%2003%2C%2011%2037%2049%20AM.jpg

My last set-up had an Aluminum stand that was wrapped in Plywood, It was nice but I like the clean look of Aluminum but don't wrap it in wood maybe partially wrap in in Alumimun, I know we want to hide the equipment but why not show something, part of the sump. like the fuge and have a port hole showing it. Something different than the norm.

My order from 80/20 came in yesterday and this weekend I am planning on start putting this together, I will post pictures of the stand..

Thank you for the information! They look fantastic!

About how much did it cost for each tank stand? I'm using the frame designer and it's turning out to be a lot, less than some other manufactured stands but still more than I was hoping to spend just on the frame before the panels.

Which feet did you go with? Where did you get the panels on the smaller tank? Did you use velcro to hold the panels on for the 200 gallon?

I had the tubing from another job and so I just bought the fittings which was about 40 bucks. I used the economy leveling feet is what I used I have 6 feet on the bottom section of the frame. The Panels are from Home Depot -18-in-x-24-in-Waves-PVC-Decorative-Tile-Backsplash-in-Brushed-Nickel The bigger Stand is a friend in Germany's stand. I use the Velcro because it is so easy to remove and put back on.
Once you build the stand you have friends say how cool I wish I had a stand like that. I build this stuff for my job in industrial maintenance. While you can use the t slot it is just a pain to work with and takes more tools to do it. The only advatage is if you are making something that has to be adjusted all the time then T slot is handy. Aquarium stands are not that way.:) Here is one of the compaines that sells Aquarium tables using Quickframe in england. porsa aquariumtables/

Im doing this right now!:) My stand is all 2020 aluminum channel from 80/20 purchased through Amazon. Very comparable in price to a custom Steel stand, maybe even cheaper by a few hundred, and it won't rust.:
IMG_5920_zpscmyli0bo.jpg

To hang the panels, after many ideas, I came up with Aluminum z-brackets normally used for picture hanging:

IMG_6078_zpsjwn4svg0.jpg

Easy, durable, and hold the panel tight to the side of the stand, and allow you to adjust the stand side to side a bit so they are very forgiving.

Oh and FYI this stand is half of the final design, which will hold two tanks back to back. I used anchor fasteners for the first stand, and it took me a while to get the hang of the milling of the holes for the fasteners. In the second stand I will use end fasteners, which only require tapping the holes on the end and drilling one small access hole. I think it will be easier to build and just as solid.

Back