Am I going to die?

One fish

In Memoriam
I am new to corals and zoas and when I just bought some the seller told me all these horror stories of people in the hospital and dead from the zoas poison. I just fragged some today... obviously they expelled some of their poison right?... and then when I was doing a water change about 8 hours later to take the poison out of my tank I accidentally swallowed about a 1/8 of a cup when I was starting the syphon. I immediately went to my bathroom and gargled hydrogen peroxide and took a shot of 100 proof rum. Should I go to the ER or what. Very scarred:thumbdown

I wore gloves when I fragged them but I am just worried about ingesting the saltwater from the newly fragged zoas...

Most of our zoas aren't dangerous. That said, we also aren't very aware of the ones that are. So it's kinda like driving to work in the morning - we know a car crash can hurt or sometimes kill us, but we all do it anyway and use appropriate protections.

A bigger threat to you, much more concerning than a little tank water, is squirts. Wear goggles, gloves, and ideally a dustmask while you are fragging. There is no antidote to palytoxin so peroxide or rum did nothing more than whiten your teeth and screw up your judgment for a little bit.

There are a few good threads in the Zoa forum. Read 'em.

I would suggest that any person who keeps coral or uses real live rock to not mouth-siphon water from their tanks. No need to take the risk of swallowing something that could be harmful. Clean water going into the tank is fine.

BTW, the rum may not have done anything to protect you from toxins but a sip of rum always makes the day better. ;)

There are cases of poisoning from aquarium animals,particularly palythoa and protopalythoa from palytoxin. Some folks are sensitive to corals stings as well. If I swallowed some palytoxin , I'd probably talk to my physician. Any infection or skin irritation from working in the tank probably warrants a physicians opinion as well.

Last edited:
lol - a shot of 100 proof rum! That'll do it!

I think you'll be fine. Check into a python water change system for future water changes.

If you put your whole siphon tube under the water so that it doesn't have any air in it and then cover one end with your thumb, lift it out of the tank and over a bucket, when you take your thumb off, the siphon will start just the same as if you sucked the water into the tube with your mouth

^^

That's what I usually do;when the squeeze pump isn't available.

If you put your whole siphon tube under the water so that it doesn't have any air in it and then cover one end with your thumb, lift it out of the tank and over a bucket, when you take your thumb off, the siphon will start just the same as if you sucked the water into the tube with your mouth

Another reason a bare bottom tank saves work..... NO Siphon tube needed... Drain water from sump with a valve.. put new water into sump with a second valve.. Water change complete and Hands dry......

But with that said.. when cleaning the Stone in bottom of Tropical tanks . I put the cleaner under the water.. Hold my thumb over the end of the tube. Raise the cleaner tube out of the water a bit release and let some water fill the hose . Put the cleaner tube back into the water tand drop the other end in a bucket.. Siphon starts . Simple easy..

Erica Loves Rum.. Next time i will Tell Bonnie i get fish poo water in my mouth and i need rum to disinfect.... Big RUM...... YUMMMMM

I'm glad that you're okay and I know stuff like this can be serious, but I have to admit this made me laugh. :lolspin:

Sorry to break it to you but you are going to die! No one lives forever!!

In all seriousness though I have heard a story about a dog that drunk water from a bucket that had Zoas in and got seriously sick.

Back