Am I Neurotic

EnglishRebel

Retired Rebel Reefer
I have just started up my sump with the main pump feeding the refugium and also on a closed loop to the main tank upstairs (the tank won't be here for another 4-5 weeks but I ran the plumbing and hooked a hose between the supply and the return pipes). Is it just me being neurotic as I'm new to this aquarium hobby because I'm constantly running downstairs to the equipment room to ensure that everything is okay and that water is not pouring out all over the floor (wouldn't matter as there is a floor drain) and the pump is not running dry and about to burst into flames? :eek2:
I can't imagine what it's going to be like when I get the main display tank up and running and I have to leave the house for a day. :eek1: :eek1:

Is this normal and will pass in time or should I go see a psychiatrist? :D

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=14217154#post14217154 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by greggnyce
Def normal and no it does not pass, it only gets worse, but have fun.

OH NO don't say that. I can only just afford this hobby without psychiatrist fees on top. :worried2:

WaterKeeper What have you got me into??? :lol:

^^^+1000^^^^

just wait till a nice rainy night when you won't be able to tell the difference between the rain outside and the flood inside!!!!!

and, like what was said abov e - Welcome to Reefing!!!

I call it prudent. If a licensed plumber had done the connections and balanced the flow, sure, it might be excessive, but this is a learning curve, and more than one of us has had to mop, fast. Keep a stack of thirsty towels near and always know where your towel is.

Why the heck are you reading my post? My god man! Go check that thing!

Okay... that was a little evil. :]

Look on the bright side. Youll be in great shape from "doing stairs" for the rest of your life ;-)

LOL this is funny, for me the craziness has passed but I have had my tank for 8 years and feel like the plumbing kinks are all worked out. But i admit i have moved the tank several times and for the 1st week or so after set up I tend to look at fitting etc several times a day. Good luck

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=14217610#post14217610 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Whys
Why the heck are you reading my post? My god man! Go check that thing!

Okay... that was a little evil. :]

brilliant! :lol:

i was the same way with my ato when i first set it up. i made sure to do it on a day where i would be home all day long and basically sat there and watched water evaporate. :lol:

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=14218232#post14218232 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by dwd5813
brilliant! :lol:

i was the same way with my ato when i first set it up. i made sure to do it on a day where i would be home all day long and basically sat there and watched water evaporate. :lol:

That's akin to watching paint dry. I must have been downstairs ten times in the last hour to verity that the magic marker line on the fuge overflow is still where the water level is (and it was). :p It's like you get to the point where you say to h*ll with it -- if it's going to screw up and overflow then have at it. There's always ServPro. :lol: :lol:

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=14219347#post14219347 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by discusone
This is GREAT!.You are so now hooked!Just wait till your first power outage!

AHHHH Power outages as well as leaks!!! :eek1: What next - fish jumping out of the tank?

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=14222460#post14222460 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by EnglishRebel
AHHHH Power outages as well as leaks!!! :eek1: What next - fish jumping out of the tank?

Yes, fish do jump. I had three attempted suicides (none successful) before I figured that one out.

Just out of curiosity, have you figured out how you will keep the display tank from syphoning to the sump during a power outage? Vacuum break, checkvalves, solenoids?

yep welcome to the hobby, my wife still wont speak to me after she found out how much i spent last year, her words were i liked the tank we had in the last house:lol: this ones too much work you never sit and watch the tv with me now:D and every time i go to the lfs, its how much did you spend:lol: happy reefing, and hope your wife understands what waterkeeper has got you into:eek2:

Just put a small fridge and a chair in the basement. Fill the fridge with beer and just sit and watch. lol I keep Shamwows next to my tank, I was up until 4 am last week fixing my mag pump yet again, but its worth it in the end.

WaterKeeper What have you got me into???

Now, there's a quote! And don't worry, after enough times getting out of bed in the middle of the night because you thought you heard a strange noise coming from the general direction of the tank, you'll be able to check your plumbing, run half a dozen water tests and completely disassemble and reassemble your return pump all while sleepwalking.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=14222917#post14222917 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by jhildebrand
The anxiety never subsides and they won't give you downers just because you have a reef...!

And to think, I got into reefing to help me relax. :p

"I don't know what it is doc. I have all this stress and thoughts of tropical coral reefs don't seem to be helping."

:lol:

Back