Am I playing the wrong Barry White CD?

Chelsey

Clownfish Addict
Premium Member
Patience is a virtue that I do not possess, at least not in quantity.

I currently have 8 pairs of clownfish and NOT ONE of them is spawning!!! They get fed the highest quality foods several times a day, at least twice, usually 4-5 times. The photoperiod is 14 hours, the tank temperatures are 80-81 and the water quality is good. Each cubicle in the broodstock system has a tile fort (one horizontal tile, one vertical tile, and one tile on a 45 degree angle) and a flowerpot. None of the pairs can see each other. There is an ongoing joke at MOFIB that you need to have Barry White playing softly in the background in order to get fish to spawn but I'm starting to wonder if maybe it isn't a joke! I have several pairs that are halfheartedly cleaning but I haven't seen any action. Anybody have any idea what I'm doing wrong?! Here's a bio of each of the pairs if that gives anyone any information:

Pair 1 - Picasso clowns; female purchased 7-15-08 and was roughly 1" DOP. Male purchased 1-20-09 and was also roughly 1" DOP. The female is currently about 2" and the male is 1.5" or so. They've been together since I purchased the male. They barely leave each other's side and sleep in the same anemone. They're located in my 100 gallon cube tank.

Pair 2 - Snowflake clowns; female purchased 10-4-08 and was roughly 1.5" DOP. Male purchased 5-16-09 and was roughly 1" DOP. The female is currently 2.5" and the male is 1.5". They've been together since I got the male. They sleep in separate anemones at night but hang out together during the day. The female has been bulking up pretty good and the pair has been halfheartedly cleaning for about the last month or two. No eggs.

Pair 3 - Snowflake male x Orange Ocellaris female; Male purchased 10-4-08 and was roughly 1.5" DOP. Female was purchased 6-28-09 and was ~3" DOP. The female is still ~3" and was in a spawning trio when I got her, she laid eggs every 12 days. The other two fish in that trio died. The male is also the same size as he was, 1.5". This pair has been together since 8-6-09 and they are halfheartedly cleaning. The female looks quite plump today but I don't think they're acting enough like a pair to spawn, especially since they've been together less than a month.

Pair 4 - Rod's Onyx. These guys are still incredibly tiny, the largest is 1.25" and the smaller one is just under 1". I do not expect them to spawn for quite some time. I got them 11-14-08 and they only had their headstripes.

Pair 5 - Black Ocellaris; Female purchased 11-2-08 and was roughly 2" DOP. Male purchased 1-29-09 and was ~1" DOP. The female is 3" now and the male probably 1.75". These two are quite attached to each other but have not shown any cleaning activity.

Pair 6 - Black Ocellaris; Pair purchased 6-25-09; Female was/is 3.25" and male was/is 3". Pair is definitely interested in spawning, they're cleaning a lot and hanging out in their tile fortress but I haven't seen an ovipositor and the female doesn't seem to be putting on the weight at all.

Pair 7 - Orange Ocellaris; Pair acquired 7-26-09; Female is 3" and male is 2.25". These guys were in a friend's tank and were cleaning a lot so he gave them to me to see if I could get them spawning. They're acting very pair-like and are halfheartedly cleaning but nothing serious.

Pair 8 - Orange Ocellaris; Pair acquired 8-1-09; Female is 4" and male is just a hair smaller. I got these guys as a mated pair from bprice and was told they lay roughly every 14 days or so. They're picking at the tiles occassionally but I think it's too soon after moving them for them to resume spawning yet.

If anyone has any ideas on how to get any of these pairs spawning please let me know. I've read just about every book on the subject and frequent MOFIB but it's highly plausible that I'm missing something...maybe need to try a different Barry White CD? ;)

What size tanks ?

All my clowns took 3 years before they'd spawn. I think you are rushing it.

Personally, Barry Whitte music makes me flaccid.

One pair is in a 28 gallon nano cube, one pair is in a 100 gallon cube, and the others are in 33 gallon "cubicles"

Every Barry White CD works on me. But I'm not a clownfish so I don't really have any suggestions other than patience. Nature will usually take its course when the participants are good and ready.

I have a pair of decent sized Clarke Clowns that finally decided to get on with it. I have had them quite a while. I started tracking laying/hatching times so I can yank the babies and move them when they hatch. It looks like they are laying eggs every 10 - 11 days and the little ones are popping out after about 7 or so. I also have a pair of Nemo;s I have had for better than a year and those show no interest in laying eggs that I can tell. I think Letmegrow is right, just wait and see. It could be a year or more before nature takes it's course. Do any of them have an anemone? That may help.

Mine didn't start spawning until they had been together for over 2 years. Unfortunately, you are doing everything right but you just have to be prepared to wait. I have had clowns together for over 3 years that never spawned even though they were paired up and inseparable! Hang in there!!

I've heard of a doll house, and I know about cat houses, but fish houses? That just sounds like a new industry in the making!! Just be sure to hang red lights outside so they know what the house is for!!

i am no expert but someone told me if you want clownfish to spawn you need to really over feed the tank to the point that hair algae thrives. but i never really tried.

here is another grandma quote for you though

patience in a virtue which i have virtually none

Maybe youre over-feeding ;). I only feed once a day, and every pair that I have spawns regularly. I do feed a high quality food :D.

I keep my pairs in a natural environment ( I dont like the looks of a fish mill)

I use ceramic tiles which IME has encouraged spawning for some pairs.

I do run warmer temps (82-84)

Back