Am I taking a risk with this float shut off for my top off?

Hefner413

For 15 yrs I've always manually filled my tank with the RODI water that I make. Then I came across this inexpensive 1/4 in valve that I could put at the end of my RODI line and not have to manually top off anymore. Do any of you use these? Too risky for failure, leaks, etc? Ok for my RODI unit to have that pressure continously? It's been hooked up for a day and everything is fine so far, and I have audible leak alarms... But I wonder if these shut off types have had issues? TIA!

Attachments

• IMG_2945.jpg
    IMG_2945.jpg
    42.6 KB · Views: 0
I do not have that exact same one but use a very similar float valve from BRS. I have never had and issue in 8 years but there is always that possibility. If you are really worried you could have a gravity fed rodi tub above it say 5 gallons. As long as your sump can hold an extra 5 gallons it won't flood. Mine is gravity fed from my rodi tank.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

I have been using a float valve for years as well without issue. I have replaced it but other than that it works just fine for me.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Yes, you are taking a risk. Mechanical devices fail, and with an 'infinite reservoir' on the other side of that float you're looking at a major problem if it fails. Whether it's an acceptable risk only you can answer. It wouldn't be for me.

Always add in a second failsafe float

Thanks all for the quick replies. I am worried about the infinite supply of water aspect. The second failsafe would be a great help to prevent any issue. But I'm trying to figure out how I'd add a second float as a failsafe. Could you please elaborate or point me to a product example so I can research?

How does that work? Does the rodi just keep making waste water until the float goes down?

No, waste will shut off also, there's a block looking part (on mine anyway) that's a sort of pressure shut off thingy, kinda hard to explain, but it works

Thanks all for the quick replies. I am worried about the infinite supply of water aspect. The second failsafe would be a great help to prevent any issue. But I'm trying to figure out how I'd add a second float as a failsafe. Could you please elaborate or point me to a product example so I can research?

I know there's an electronic solenoid you can add to your supply line to shut it off. I've heard it work with a leak detector. Maybe there's a way to rig it with a float switch also. This way if it gets higher than your current float valve, there's a second one that'll send an electronic signal to cut off your supply.

The idea is basically the same as your auto shut off value (the little box) but using a float switch instead

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I am using the 1/4 float in both sumps, my RO system is plumbed to a 8 gallon jug that will gravity feed the sumps. I run it like this so if something fails worse case I'll have a small amount of water versus a direct line feeding the valves. Typically I fill the jugs once a week.

I use one on the ATO reservoir on the reef system, and one right in the sump straight from the RODI on the FOWLR.
I rinse the one in the FOWLR when I think about it. ;)

There are countless people on RC dispensing advice that have very little time or experience in this hobby. I'd take comments like 'I've been using ________ without any problems' with a large grain of reef salt. Anyone who's been around for a long time will tell you that mechanical devices do fail and that multiple points of redundancy are your best friend. Search the boards, the two most common causes of tank crashes are heater and ATO failures.

I think having an 'infinite reservoir' ATO is a bad idea. The one absolutely foolproof redundancy is having an ATO reservoir that, in the event it all got pumped into your tank, would not reduce the salinity below the point of tank survival. On my system, were that to happen my salinity would drop from .026 to .020. Not good, certainly, but not necessarily deadly. Before that were to happen, though, I have three levels of switch redundancy.

There is a roc by reef Genesis that you can use with a fail safe to turn off or on the unit. It can electronically shut off the solenoid preventing water coming through.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've used a similar float valve for RODI refill since I got into reefkeeping in 1996. Do NOT dose Kalkwasser or any other chemical through it and you will be fine. Kalkwasser will eventually cause either the valve to be plugged and not refill properly, or you will get a calcium deposit at the valve which will force it to be open all the time. Just use plain RODI water with it and enjoy less work on your part and a more stable system. I had a 15 gallon reserve container on a 35 gallon tank, filled it once a week and forgot about it. Building a new system at the moment and will be using the same valve.

OK, just read the rest of the post. I do not recommend tying the output of your RODI directly into your tank. Use this float valve with a reserve tank you refill occasionally. If you enable your RODI, run for a few seconds and then stop, and do this continuously, you can get TDS creep through the RO system and will not have 0TDS water. Best case is you burn through your DI rapidly. WHen you first start water flow through a RO membrane is it not unusual to have a little bit of TDS creep through the system into your output water. This can happen when you first turn the water on to the RO system but doesn't last long. If you cycle the RO system rapidly and don't run it long enough, this can cause a TDS buildup in your output water. In this situation, I do not recommend a valve like this.

I'm a belt-and-suspenders kind of guy--not literally but I like having a contingency plan. I too was concerned about the infinite supply of wood floor damaging H2O so I just use an ATO reservoir that I fill up manually. Not as automated as the direct line but still less work than the daily top-off the OP mentioned.

I also made sure my sump had enough volume to handle a simultaneous return pump failure and an ATO stuck "on" (and that my tank had enough capacity to handle a blocked overflow and the ATO draining its reservoir while trying to top off a sump that isn't getting any water from the tank).

Paranoid--maybe, but I appreciate the piece of mind.

Back