Amateur Question...

rockrider

Okay, so I just started my FIRST saltwater aquarium. I'm very excited, but I'm trying to take my time and be very knowledgeable of every phase of the process. I've followed the instructions of the book: "Your First Marine Aquarium," as well as the instructions given to me by the local pet store. Right now, my tank is cycling. I've got the salt levels regulated, and added live sand and live rock. Right now I'm enjoying seeing all the "hitchhikers" that came with the rock including 3-4 bristle worms, 3 starfish (at least two different types), a snail/clam? (he only came out once), a tiny anemone, and what I think is a baby shrimp-like critter.
Here's my dilemma: All the literature I have says to test for ammonia, nitrites, and nitrates. That these levels will cycle from one to the other, building up and then going back down. This is supposed to take 2-4 weeks. It has been ONE WEEK since I put in my live rock, and all my readings are saying "ideal," "safe," etc. However, I've got a golden-brown algae bloom--that was expected according to the literature to take place during these cycles. This has me worried my test equipment is no good. I got the test kits from Walmart, but they looked legit enough.
I'm not in any rush to add inverts or fish, but I want to feel like I can trust my test kits when it's time to do that.

Any thoughts?

Back