American Made

crn005

You know, I have read a lot over the past few years about how poorly made Chinese products are, but I have a serious question: what products aren't made in China anymore? I've noticed that a lot of companies tote the "assembled in America" flag, but where did the components come from? Assembled in Germany? Same question. Your Reef Octopus skimmer? Made in China. Your Gyre powerhead? Same. Where do you think your high end Cree LEDs came from? It's not like Kentucky or New York is pumping them out. They are made in China. That's just a rant I've been thinking about lately.
:deadhorse:

There are very poorly made Chinese products, and there are very well made ones. One cannot make a general statement as all good or all bad.

And, a product that is designed and assembled in one country but the individual component made in another, is totally different than the entire product is designed, made, and assembled in one country.

I'd buy a German or American car with Chinese component, but I won't buy an entirely Chinese made car; at least not yet.

The problem is really quite simple..............THEIR LEADERS ARE MUCH SMARTER THEN OUR LEADERS!!!

Clarification---- Our leaders are more corrupt than theirs... and theirs are pretty darn corrupt.

I used to be very VERY supportive of American made products in the past. But corporate America has sold us all down the river, I no longer am.

Clarification---- Our leaders are more corrupt than theirs... and theirs are pretty darn corrupt.

I used to be very VERY supportive of American made products in the past. But corporate America has sold us all down the river, I no longer am.

Don't be so quick to judge. American corporations cannot compete with 25 cent an hour labor and government backed industry (profits don't matter). Do you want our lifestyle to be on par with the average Chinese lifestyle? The problem is we (The US) don't tariff Chinese goods enough to make American made ones more competitive. Most favored trade partner status has killed us.

Its actually reverse.
Corruption is more rampant and more accepted/the norm there.
Thats one of the major reasons they are known for sub par products too..

The second you stop watching them they drop quality/materials,etc.. to save money.
They knock off/copy EVERYTHING but don't utilize the same materials/standards so the products are inferior vs the real parts.

Companies like Cree do run facilities there but "tightly" control everything so quality can be maintained.

The second China does figure it out though.. US manufacturing is screwed.

I work for a Electronics Contract manufacturer in the US and can tell you that we barely eek out a profit trying to compete with the overseas market. We even outsource most of our circuit board manufacturing overseas and just populate them here in the states. In the electronics market even the slightest savings multiplied over hundreds of thousands of boards is enough to send customers overseas. But then I guess the flipside is when we get the call and they have quality issues or cannot get good communication to the manufacturer.

I work for a Electronics Contract manufacturer in the US and can tell you that we barely eek out a profit trying to compete with the overseas market. We even outsource most of our circuit board manufacturing overseas and just populate them here in the states. In the electronics market even the slightest savings multiplied over hundreds of thousands of boards is enough to send customers overseas. But then I guess the flipside is when we get the call and they have quality issues or cannot get good communication to the manufacturer.

I feel for you.. CM's profit margins are virtually nothing now a days (low single digit percents)..
Glad I'm working for an OEM.. Hard to complain about 50-75%

overseas also does not have to deal with EPA or OSHA and a couple of other agencies that protect employees or environment. if you keep up with the news there are complete towns that had to be relocated because it is so bad people are dieing. kids have all kind of health problems. so corporate what ever can make a billion. we cant produce it in this country because we want our great grand kids to be able to live on the land and breathe the air and at least drink the water. this is just my opinion and sorry for the rant...

Back