Amputate?

gussy

New member
This is what happen when I overdosed Kalk two weeks ago:

73741446.jpg


73741440.jpg


Right now algae is starting to cover the top skeleton, but I can see that there are still living tissue on some of the lower portion of the stalk and base.

Do I cut off the dead skeleton to the point where I see live tissue, or just leave it the way it is?

Thanks!
 

cward

Premium Member
I've never had luck with the tissue recovering the injured area, so I would cut it back. If not, algae will eventually cover the skeleton.
 

gussy

New member
Yes, total loss at the top. But the base and about 1" upward is still covered with tissue. So I guess I'll chop off the skeleton.
 

NewSchool04

New member
That would be best. At this point getting the living tissue the most flow, light will increase your chances of saving the acro. Good luck!
 

supervdl

New member
IMO - the tissue won't grow back. On my instances, the bare corals quickly got covered by coralline algae. I cut off some pieces as frags and they grew very quickly while the injured mother colony never seemed to take off again.
 

VikeBron

Premium Member
I did that once:( Thank god I didn't have a camera. I don't want any reminders of what a bonehead I was. Lost a couple thousand $ worth of corals.
Good luck with what made it through.
 

gussy

New member
The weird thing about this is that only the SPS and Astrea snails died. I dosed before going to bed, so it was about 12 hours later that this was discovered. The ph was way, way up there. The hermits, shrimps, fishes, zoas, mushrooms and other stuff all survived.
 

VikeBron

Premium Member
I have all my stuff plumbed into the basement. At the time of the "incident" I had 2-75gal tanks hooked together on their own system(thank goodness) for grow out and frags and extra colonies. I also dosed at night and when I opened the door to the basement the next morning....wow. What a smell. I need to stop ......... I am getting flashbacks:(
 
Top