An Update to my Sumpless 40Br Mixed Reef Tank

Electrobes

Montipora type guy
Watch in HD!

Still waiting on music to appear, but oh well.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/W1HUkupmm-s" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

My wife left my video camera at her sisters.. so we're stuck with my iPhone for today. :*(

Some changes from last video:

- The 40-50 pound acylic canopy is gone! It has been replaced with.. well.. whatever you call the thing I made. It hides my equipment, in a classy way, and I now have an open top Reef Tank! This change has made my reefing INCREDIBLY better for reasons as feeding, testing, maintenance, and even viewing. I am, truly, in love with my current set up and can't see myself ever going back to a monster canopy.

- The HQI Pendant is now an inch higher, 11 inches. Coral seem perfectly happy with that.

- I got rid of my skimmer.. and have been skimmerless for dang near a month. Replacing it was the AquaClear 110, which houses my heating element, probes (Temp and pH), and a small Hydor pump for the Phosban Reactor.

- The Phosban Reactor has been added and has 1/2 cup of BRS' cheaper GFO changed monthly (More or less).

- A Drs FosterSmith HOB power filter that has a filter cartridge with 1/2 cup carbon (BRS' large particle carbon), changed weekly.

- I removed the automatic feeder, and now feed my aquarium myself. I feed more frequently but the reason for the change was to get the fish more people friendly. Within a week the fish all come out when they see someone and beg for food.

- I started more frequently feeding the tank with Golden Pearls (5-50 + 50-100 micron mix) at night. So far so good, the corals have been responding well to it.

- I started feeding Freeze-dried cyclop-eez during the day, mainly for the fish. As usual, the response of the fish has been gleeful.

- After a month's quarantine, I added a Yellow Clownfish Goby and an unknown damsel (Blue body, black striping on the face). I am happy to report the six-line has allowed the damsel to live without problem, but I have not seen the YCG since it was put in the tank, I fear the worst.

- Vortechs have been on yellow mode for a while, and the tank has absolutely responded very well to the change.

- Added a pH controller, but use it only to monitor the pH. It's been pretty steady between 8.0-8.4

- I fragged my Gorgonian as it was touching my Yellow Toadstool Leather.. a fight it would not win. But in a win-win for us, the fragged piece was re-mounted to the left to help fill in the empty space of that rock, next to the Orange Cap.

- I bought a Chilli Coral and placed it under and behind the large Orange Cap colony. Unfortunately I don't think it's doing well despite my best efforts to feed it (It's not photosynthetic coral). I may have to take it out, but at the moment I am holding out in the hopes it will begin to puff up and feed at night.

Tank Info:

Tank: Aqueon 40BR

Stand and Canopy: The stand is a nice entrance piece of furniture and the canopy(?) is custom made of pine wood, wood filler, screws, and a cool spray paint used for grills (Very good against high heat... 1200F!!).

Light: 250W HQI Hamilton Pendant with 14K Phoenix, being run by an Aqua Medic reef cube ballast. I also use the moonlight LED that is a part of it.

Sand: Reef on the Rocks Aragonite + Caribsea SeaFloor Grade sand (Bigger particles)

Rock: Reef on the Rocks Aragolite

Water Movement: 2 X Vortech MP10 (Yellow mode at about 3/4 power for one and 1/4 for the other)

Filtration: - AquaClear 110 + Phosban Reactor (1/2 cup of BRS' cheaper GFO) - Drs.FosterSmith Bio System Power Filter (1/2 cup of BRS' large particle Carbon)

pH Controller - Used only to monitor pH

ATO: BRS Doser (50ml/min) used in custom set up (7G tub that is hidden). (I use Kalkwasser)

Foods - Freeze-dried Cyclop-Eez, Golden Pearls (5-50 + 50-100 micron mixed together)

looks great! i remember your old thread, though i haven't seen it for quite some time. i've finally started my 40B back up after a tank disaster and a move and it's starting to come together. i'll keep an eye on your progress and perhaps follow your lead on a few things since i too am without sump and skimmer.

Thanks! Yeah, I stopped posting in my build thread and just post a new video every so often. I just don't post all that often now.. I think it's old reefer syndrome. ;)

I forgot to mention that my only current issue with the tank is that my Alkalinity has stubbornly stayed at 7dkH. I've been dosing to eventually bring it up to 9dkH. Time will tell I guess.

Back