Ando's 29gallon BioCube

ando88

Hey reef central I'm new around here and just want to share my 29g biocube with you guys!

I started my 29g Nov.03.08 with 20 lbs of live sand and about 30 or 35 lbs of LR.

-1st chamber took out false floor and have 100watt stealth heater

-2nd chamber took out bioballs and took out false floor, made middle chamber my fuge and I built a media rack for carbon and floss.

-3rd chamber blue sponge and stock return pump

-Fish
2 clown fish

-Inverts
15 red leg hermits
20 cerith snails
4 turbo snails

-Corals

soft
3 ricordia
zoas (bahama mama)

LPS
trumpet coral

SPS
green birds nest
blue milepora

-Mods

Replaced stock lighting with Nova Extreme Pro T5's
made a top out of acrylic so fish don't jump out
Made my stand

here are some photos.

DSCN2019.jpg

DSCN1946.jpg

DSCN1951.jpg

DSC_1972.jpg

media rack
DSC_1709.jpg

fuge light
DSC_1575.jpg

I will post more pics tomorrow of my new corals and better pics.

Thanks

wuster77

Just wondering how high your green birdnest is placed in your tank. I got the exact same lighting as you, but my birdnest coral doesn't seem to be coloring up or growing after almost 4 weeks.

Thanks.

xenon

Owner of Canada Corals
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=14202983#post14202983 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by wuster77
Just wondering how high your green birdnest is placed in your tank. I got the exact same lighting as you, but my birdnest coral doesn't seem to be coloring up or growing after almost 4 weeks.

Thanks.

I have a pink and green birdsnest in my 29g BC and I also had the Nova Extreme Pro T5 light for the past 4months and growth has been incredible!

They both got about 5X bigger in a 4month time frame.

wuster77

Hi xenon, how far away is your birdnest corals from your lights? Mine is about 12 inches from the surface. Is that enough light? I am trying to figure out if I am doing something wrong or it just needs more time.

ando88

On my tank I would say it's about in the middle. Hopefully that's a good spot for it.
Also pics below of the acrylic top I made so fish don't jump out and 2 of my new corals
DSCN2061.jpg

DSCN2053.jpg

DSCN2058.jpg

DSCN2047.jpg

you might be able to see it on this pic... it's on the right side in the middle
DSCN2051.jpg

wuster77

Thanks Ando. I think I'll just wait and see. Mine is about 10 inches from the surface, so about the same as yours.

ando88

Does your birdsnest look like mine in the pictures I posted. Mine has been in the tank for only about a week now.

wuster77

Yea, assuming that your picture is taken under actinic. It's been almost 4 weeks and nothing has changed, so I was wondering if I am doing something wrong although my montiporas are doing fine.

wuster77

My tank has been up for a year, but I added first first frags exactly 4 weeks ago. There are 5 sps frags and 1 lps. There is at least 4-5 inches between the birdnest and its neighboring corals, so I am sure no other coral is bothering it. Plus, the closest corals to it are montiporas, which are really defenseless.

Anyways, here are my water parameters:
pH: 8.3
Alkalinity: 9-10dkH
Ammonia: 0
Nitrite: 0
Nitrate: ~1-2ppm
Calcium: 410-420ppm
Phosphate: 0

Seems like everything is in check, so I am not sure what is going on.
All the parameters are also very stable. All parameters have been unchanged in the past 6 month or so except for nitrate, which has been decreasing from initial 10-15ppm to the current 1-2ppm.

You have any idea about why my birdnest is not adjusting??

ando88

I got some new corals yesterday.
-brain coral
-some more zoas
-blue/green mushroom

I will post pics soon

wuster77

Ando88, I don't have the biocube, but my birdnest is about 10 inches below the surface. I have about 40x circulation right now and am actually going to increase it to about 55x in a few weeks. I have the pump already but am still playing around with the water flow right now. But even at 40x now, I think there is sufficient water flow.

ando88

for those of you who use B-ionic 2 part buffer for alkalinity and calcium. How often do you dose your tank?

Im trying to keep my alk at 8-9
and calcium around 450

ando88

^^^Those were my pics I updated last night from my friends account ^^^^

I went down to the beach yesterday and got about 100 nasarius snails. If you guys ever need any we can work something out. :) I can also get cerith snails. Give me a pm if u guys ever need any!

MustangCaleb

looks great! are you happy with the t5's? ive been going back and forth between those and a sunpod. if you were to do it again, would you pick the t5's again? also how much water do you have to top off daily?