Anemone food game changer

jbardwel

I just started feeding my RBT and long tentacled anemones pieces of frozen thawed raw whole shrimp shell and head on and the anemones growth has taken off like I have never seen before. Once thawed the shrimp sink can easily be consumed by the anemones will little competition from all the fish in my tank. So they make for very convenient feeding.I'm not sure if the shell and head are important, but if it ain't broke don't fix it. I use both white leg shrimp from the Chinese food store cause they are small and cheap, but larger whole shrimp pieces are fine too. Feeding once a week seems to work well. I previously used frozen silver fish or frozen whole anchovies also from the Chinese food store Silver fish are ok but float, anchovies elicit a great feeding reflex but seem to hurt the anemones over time. Shrimp are far superior to either

Last edited:
Awesome to hear. I don’t feed my nems except whatever free floating stuff they get so I can’t help as far as how the head and skin affect things

Yea they like shrimp. Been feeding mine it once a week and it has been growing like mad. I use the frozen shrimp from a 5 lb. bag my wife picks up at the supermarket. I just cut it into small pieces and refreeze it.

Have you tried feeding them scallops? I've been doing it for years and they're able to absorb all of the nutrients. I agree silver sides you end up having a lot of waste in the tank.

Back