Anemone ID

AR10

Hi Guys,

Can anyone please tell me what kind of Anemone this is?

I think I have been sold a bleached Anemone.

Obviously new to the hobby and was told by the guy at my LFS that this would go well with my two common clowns.

Currently, hiding at the back of the tank and not so happy in the light which makes me a bit concerned that its not in great shape.

Thanks.

Attachments

• IMG_1078.JPG
    IMG_1078.JPG
    68.8 KB · Views: 0
Thanks a a lot.

It's pretty big when it's open. A good 10cm in diameter.

Right now it's curled up at the back of the tank in the shade. I've turned the lights on that side of the tank off so it has the option.

Sux that they actually sell you something in this state. And I feel bad for the animal. Hole it comes right over time.

10 cm is small for these.
I just got a bleached H. crispa myself from a local store. I took it because they don't show up that often and when they do they are usually as small as yours. But this one was otherwise healthy and huge: about 25 cm (~10").

In the 80's I had one that recovered and turned brown again after getting in touch with an anthelia colony. At it's prime it was over 30 cm in diameter. Unfortunately it didn't like it when I had to change the fluorescent light bulbs. It started wandering around and ultimately shriveled away.
One of the reasons why I go with LEDs now.

Wow, that's big. I hope this one pulls through. Just going to leave it to do its thing and make sure the water is all good.

The guy that sold it said that clowns would kill ANY other corals, cos I was actually keen on something else that was easy, like Hammers or zoas or an lps that I could start with. But the guy was adimant the clowns would harm other corals... Sux when you're just starting out and you have to rely on others who are more interested in sales.

I had a freshwater set up before that was stable and ran for years with no issues,, just need to be patient and get skilled up in reeding.

Thanks again for the ID and advice

I usually train my clownfish on ceramic flower pots (best done during quarantine) and they will prefer them then over most corals (Hammers, frogspawn and the like may be the exception - I never had those with clownfish)

I would not trust any sales guy. I usually know more than they when it comes to fish, shrimp and anemones.

If you want to know as much as possible about clownfish and anemones I would recommend a couple of books:

Anemone Fishes and Their Host Sea Anemones by Daphne Gail Fautin and Gerald R. Allen.
This is really the clownfish and anemone bible in terms of identification and which fish goes whit which anemone in the wild (in captivity many of the fish are less picky) - a must for any clownfish fan.

Clownfishes: A Guide to Their Captive Care, Breeding & Natural History by Joyce D. Wilkerson. This one is great for beginners as it covers all the basics: quarantine and disease treatment, pair bonding, plankton culturing and breeding.

Hard to say. Better picture of the column and foot will help in ID the anemone. Sometime when an anemone is not healthy, we just have to wait until he is better before we can positively ID him

Back