Anemone sticking to a coral

Cephas27

Hello everyone..

I am new to this community and to reefing.. a few days back i got a green BTA which i left on a rock.. i found the next day that it had attached itself to the pineapple brain coral.. i had read somewhere that it may sting other corals so i tried to gently remove him from the coral but it was stuck pretty well.. My question is that should i just let it be and find its own sweet spot or do i need to remove him from the coral.. the pineapple brain coral hasnt opened since the....i have attached an image for reference..

Any help will be much appreciated..!!

Attachments

• photo (1).jpg
    photo (1).jpg
    42.2 KB · Views: 0
I must say, that BTA looks pretty happy. Anyway, that is the one downfall about BTAs. They move and will move to where they want. Usually where the flow is just right and there is just enough lighting. You could try to get it to move on its own by dimming your lights. Only problem is, it might move on to or next to another coral.

Removing an Anemone is a very delicate procedure. I have a RBTA that has split for me about 5 times and I have sold the splits. I had to pull the rock it was on and gently rub the foot off the rock like 1/8 inch at a time. It takes time and patience or you will kill the Anemone.

The way in which I've gotten nems and mushrooms to move is to aim a persistent water jet at them. If you've got a means to do this, redirecting your entry jets, eg, try it. They don't like water blowing on them.

If you have a powerhead, you can use that---but if you have a powerhead or fan accessible with a nem in the tank you MUST cage that bit of machinery. They will otherwise find a way to invade it.

I try to keep my anemones on small rocks so i can just move the rock around. I have an island in my tank thats just for anemones so they can move where they want but if i see them trying to get off the island i just move the rock they are on to the top of the island. I would try to put the brain under a rock for a day so the anemone will try to move up to the rock to catch more light.

When I first introduced my RBTA, it settled on a spot facing the back wall of the tank, I directed my powerhead to blow on that spot and it moved around until it finds another spot to attach itself to. Just make sure you cover your powerhead if you're not around to monitor it, you don't want it to get sucked into the side of it if it happens to get detached and flows around while searching for a new spot.

Thanks Guys for your suggestions!! will try the powerhead trick when i am home today so that i can monitor the movement... But if i leave it there can it kill the other coral really??

Well guys a rather tragic update.. itried using the powerhead trick.. but the anemone move a tiny little and then stopped.. it was happy being lodged in the belly of the coral.. after trying for 3 hours i left it as is... the sad part is that today morning i saw the anemone closed up and upon closer inspection found that it had half eaten my lyretail.. with the tail still popping out...:)...

Guys, i think the power head trick might work.. But i realised that the anemone does not move much when the lights are on.. so i left the wacemaker on and left it with the lklight off for a while and it has moved quite a bit.. will try it again today..

And they have seperated!!!! Yippie!!

And they have seperated!!!! Yippie!!

Thanks a lot guys for your valuable inputs!!

Attachments

• photo (3).jpg
    photo (3).jpg
    66 KB · Views: 0
Back