Another Calfo Overflow question

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=9881937#post9881937 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by BeanAnimal
Why be a jerk Randall? You posted as if I was uninformed and used an a well respected member of the community to back up your point. That expert happens to be a friend... I simply pointed that out. I also pointed out that we have talked about this exact subject many times. Your certainly twisting this out of context.. but hey whatever makes you happy.

Nobody said that was not true Randall. That is the whole basis of increasing overflow length to aid in surface skimming. That is the whole basis for feeding a skimmer directly from the overflow. Your not the only person who understands that Randall.

I never said you did. In some situations it is certainly NOT asking for trouble. The problem here is that you are taking a concept and using it as a broad brush to paint everything. There are setups that are nearly ideal and setups that make concessions in one aspect or another. This depends on the tank size, equipment on hand, space and aesthetic considerations etc. In my case, a LOW FLOW sump is not really an option based upon several of my design goals and associated limitations. For another person a low flow sump may be a very smart choice.

No offense Randall, but I certainly do not need a flip lesson from you on water flow mechanics.

What a revaluation! Did I not just say that?

Nobody said it wouldn't. I feed my flow closed loop from below the skimmer box just for that reason. I feed the refugium and skimmer FROM the overflow via closed loops FOR THAT REASON.

If I were to do it all over, I may change some things, but I certainly would not lose the high flow sump (I can list many reasons why).

There is an old thread here on RC about skimmer performance and how to beef it up. It is a LONG read but has a lot of very good information as well as lots of things that have been tried. Yes, I have read the thread as well as had the discussion in persons several times. Nobody (at least me) is in disagreement. Many of the principles were used in the setup of my own system.

Feeding the skimmer directly from overflow water is almost ideal. Matching the skimmers size to the overflow rate and feeding 100% of it to the skimmer is even more ideal. I already acknowledged that.

Well heck you certainly took that personal, but I still think running circulation water through the overflow is a mistake. And I think you may be the one that is twisting words a bit. Relax man.....

good for you, you should ask...

And that was not personal?

I am fully relaxed and certainly have not twisted anything.

Running circulation water through the overflow may not be ideal, every situation is different. If we are going to frame the discussion in "ideals" then the "sump" would be at the same level as the display. The skimmer would process 100% of the overflow water and be as tall as possible for contact time. The list can go on.

I merely pointed out an option and you shot it down by quoting Mr. Calfo. I responded in kind and said that yes I KNOW Anthony and yes this subject has been the topic of personal discussions. I also stated that your feelings were valid, but that sometimes compromises don't rise to the point of concern if it means that other design goals can be met. There are many acceptable ways to achieve a goal and still fall within reasonable operational parameters.

Accepted flow rates for most tanks fall between 20X and 50X tank volume.

How many 1.5" gravity drains are needed for 5300 to 13200Gph

How much waterfall is this going to create on a 72" long overflow box

What about noise and bubbles created from the waterfall of a gravity overflow with this volume (88 to 220Gpm)

sscheitel, I would highly recommend you set up a test of trying to flow 5300 to 13000Gph through gravity drains and a horizontal overflow.

I have seen this tried on a 120G tank and it was a noise and bubble issue as well as the effects on skimmer and sump performance. That tank was ultimately drilled for closed loop feeds. The gravity flow just did not work with the dart pump

Will it work better on a larger 265G tank? I suppose it could but I think some testing would be prudent.

Back