another eel to go with a fimbraited?

S4lt Lif3

Hey everyone,

I bought another 75g to plumb into my other 75g so I wanted to ask about stocking. In my 75 that is running I have my spotted and chainlink and got a 7" fimbraited for 10 bucks so i put him in there till i get the other tank running in about a week or so.

When i do set up the new 75, im putting the fimby in there and was wondering if i can add a mexican dragon moray as the other tank mate? Or if not a MDM, what would you suggest?

Thanks for your time!

7"! That is tiny! I'd wait until he grows some. I don't know the aggression on them, but I know lisa is looking for a new home for her BDM, I have one as well and love him, great eel.

thanks for the response. any other suggestions for when he gets a little bigger? I saw a mexican dragon that was cremed colored at one of the fish stores, I hope that is compatible, it was very nice.

Honestly, the fimbriated is going to get pretty big. It's going to outgrow the 75g imo, and if you do keep it in there, I wouldn't suggest crowding it. If there are problems with another eel, there has to be room for one of them to get away. A 75g doesn't provide that. When it grows, I think you'll see that it's enough eel for that tank.

Alright thanks for the response lukfox, in my other 75g I have a Chain link and a Spotted moray that are about 1.5 feet long each and hang together all day and they have plenty of room when they swim around.

1.5 feet isn't full grown either... And you said yourself the fimbriated is meaner than those two, hence its tank buddy might need room to get away sometimes. Maybe it wouldn't be happy sharing caves. What exactly is a spotted moray?

Gymnothorax moringa ( Spotted moray), And what I meant by saying that is, for his size he can hold his own. For the new 75g, for rock work I was gonna do 2 separate mounds so if I did get another eel, he would have his own territory.

BDMs get about the same size as fimbriated eels, so two 30-36" in a 48" tank are likely going to overlap. They aren't going to coil neatly in their separate mounds all of the time. Two feet is not a territory. Even if they are compatible in personality (the two bold personalities can clash if pressed for room I would think), that's still a ton of eel in a 75g.

It seems you're pretty determined to convince yourself it's possible though, so whatever. See how it goes, but be prepared to get more tanks or sell some eels.

moreys are tough to get together , its iffy at best . even if you get them in the tank with no battles there is a good chance that they will meet at night when searching for food and thats when its gonna be a problem . i keep mine in seperate tanks for that reason . good luck

not determined to do anything. Everyone just says it won't work when it has and it does. I'm sure you have seen big fish in a smaller tank with no problems so im just trying to look at my options.

Instead of telling me what I can't do, how bout giving some advice on what I can do.

iamwrasseman, I already have 2 eels in the same tank who have been getting along fine for months now and no battles at all. i understand what your saying though, what type of eels do you have and what fish do you keep with them since you keep them seperatly?

best to keep them apart or one will get hurt IMO sorry i can't advise differently . i have owned 15 or so moreys and it usually doesnt work out . two very small ones may so they can learn to cope with each other and they must be fed well . if you want two eels to get together they should be less agressive than the fibrilated . i have two and they are both quite aggresive . i would sell my 8" one if you want to try he is a ***** cat compared to my 23" one .its much easier to get one at your LFS though.

I kept a dwarf and a miliaris moray together for a couple years without any issues. I tried mixing a BDM with the same miliaris, and I had to separate them. The BDM was too aggressive, kept trying to steal whatever cave the miliaris went into (even if it was satisfied in the cave it was previously in), and this was in a 6' tank and before the BDM was full grown. It was more secretive aggression, just stealing caves, posturing, but in "eel language" it must have been bad because the miliaris went off feed for 3 months (which is when I removed it).

I think mixing eels can work out with less aggressive species, but with morays that are more on the aggressive side it may not work out. I don't think a 4' tank is helping your chances either.

ok i understand that, i get that putting 2 aggresive eels is pushing my luck so i won't do that, but can i get some suggestions on what i can put with the fimbraited?

thanks.

oh no i keep triggers in thoes tanks also its hard body makes it very suitable . i'm not saying that it can't be done at all , its just touchy at best . they may be fine for years ,no doubt .but its usually not a great combo . they require space and thats difficult to give them. so back on track , triggers ,groupers large tangs , tusk wrasse and many others may be good canidates . if they even come close to fitting in the eels mouth they will probably become food at some point IMO .i have a green morey that is 18" long and he has tried to eat a 9" trigger ,its not possiable but he has grabbed it many times to no avail . he really doesn't hurt him just recklessly grabs him when feeding . i hope that you can find a suitable mate for your eel ,they are very cooland it certainly can be done .

no problem , when you find your tankmate let us know how its going . one more thing , take your time and do ask questions as you already have the people on RC are always there to help as you will find out . 24/7/365 you can get a response ,unless the computer crashes . good luck dude

thanks i appreciate that..

you think a fimbraited and a minatus grouper would be a cool tank? I wanna keep the fimbraited for life and atleast one other fish to go with him for life.. I think im gonna start looking for a new home for my chainlink soon so my spotted can have that 75g to himself and maybe add some damsels for color to that tank..

Back