(Another) IM Nuvo 16 Build

Steveabg

I never got around to doing a build thread. This is my first tank since I tore my old tanks down in 2008, before I moved up to Portland. Then back to Southern California.

Equipment:
IM Nuvo 16 tank with stock Skyye Lights.
upgraded return nozzles to IM Spin Streams.
JBJ Auto Top off w/aqualifter
Apex Gold package w/ controller, energy bar, probes for ph, temp, salinity, orp...

I started with 10 lbs. of live sand, and about 17 lbs. of live rock. I added the IM magnafuge light, and have some chaeto in an inTank fuge basket.

While I started it some time ago, I do have pics from day one, and the rock formation we settled on, after tinkering with it a bit...

Attachments

• day1.jpg
    day1.jpg
    68.4 KB · Views: 0
  • rock.jpg
    rock.jpg
    56.7 KB · Views: 0
Lots of rock. But you are off to a good start my man! I have the same tank ha ha!

We're twins!

Btw, I just visited Portland about a month ago for a week. LOVED IT! I want more beer.

Oh my gosh... ANOTHER IM Nuvo 16 build? ;)
Lord oh lord.... Such awesome tanks :p

Looks good so far!

What're your plans with corals and what not?
Also, do you plan on upgrading the lights?

:beer:
Hentz

What are these nuvos I keep hearing about :lmao:

Lookin good

Lol so many Nuvo 16's. They're awesome tank, thats forsure.

No one is really bugging to buy this Nuvo 16 I'm trying to turn and burn. The itch to set it up is bad. These Nuvo 16 builds (which are amazing btw) are really making me want to set it up again lol.:uzi:

So, now the tank has been up for about 2 months. No fish yet, but I added a cleanup crew of detrivores that I ordered from Indo-Pacific Sea Farms.

"¢ Bristle worms
"¢ Mini Stars
"¢ amphipods
"¢ micro hermits
"¢ various snails

It was a great experience, everything arrived alive, and they threw in a freebie (a piece of live rock with a red discosoma on it).

This weekend, I added:

"¢ 1 emerald crab (he devoured the few pieces of neomeris that popped up on the live rock)
"¢ 1 feather duster
"¢ small colony of orange spot zoanthids

Attachments

• 050414.jpg
    050414.jpg
    48.7 KB · Views: 0
  • feather.jpg
    feather.jpg
    53.7 KB · Views: 0
  • zoas.jpg
    zoas.jpg
    61.9 KB · Views: 0
  • angle.jpg
    angle.jpg
    74.6 KB · Views: 0
  • front.jpg
    front.jpg
    81.7 KB · Views: 0
Lots of rock. But you are off to a good start my man! I have the same tank ha ha!

We're twins!

Btw, I just visited Portland about a month ago for a week. LOVED IT! I want more beer.

Portland turned out to be a great place to visit. I love visiting, wasn't for me to live in.

Oh my gosh... ANOTHER IM Nuvo 16 build? ;)
Lord oh lord.... Such awesome tanks :p

Looks good so far!

What're your plans with corals and what not?
Also, do you plan on upgrading the lights?

Hentz

Planning on mostly softies. Zoas/palys, ricordeas. Then some sun corals, dendros. The stock lighting should be fine for all that. Thinking about maybe a pearl bubble coral, which should get enough light if it's placed in the upper portion of the tank, no?

Upgrading my lighting today. The plan has changed from softies to include some LPS.

Going to go with the Kessil a360we.

Totally forgot to get a cable to control it with the apex. Oh well. No sunrise/sunset for now.

Last edited:
Scored these beauties yesterday. :dance:

Dendro opened right up in the tank, ate within 2 hours of being placed.

Attachments

• DSC_0002-2.jpg
    DSC_0002-2.jpg
    55.5 KB · Views: 0
  • DSC_0005-3.jpg
    DSC_0005-3.jpg
    59.8 KB · Views: 0
  • DSC_0007-3.jpg
    DSC_0007-3.jpg
    64.3 KB · Views: 0
  • DSC_0010-3.jpg
    DSC_0010-3.jpg
    55.9 KB · Views: 0
  • DSC_0015-2.jpg
    DSC_0015-2.jpg
    52.1 KB · Views: 0

Looking good! Nice scores!

Be careful at 40%. I had mine set around 50% and bleached my Monti's. :O

Yeah Kessil is more powerful than most people think. I thought my tank looked "dim", but bleached Monti's. Go figure lol just something to look out for.

So now I'm down to 15% and gonna let corals recover, and ramp up a few percentage points per week until I get up to where it looks nice to my eyes.

Yeah Kessil is more powerful than most people think. I thought my tank looked "dim", but bleached Monti's. Go figure lol just something to look out for.

So now I'm down to 15% and gonna let corals recover, and ramp up a few percentage points per week until I get up to where it looks nice to my eyes.

Yep. That's a big problem IMHO with LED's in general. They're way more directional than us Metal Halide reefer converts are used to (or even T5 / PC / VHO, for that matter!). I'd recommend using a PAR meter if you're able to find one. A lot of LFSs and Reef Clubs have them to borrow. Definitely worthwhile.

Once you've got a meter, give this chart a shot: http://www.aquaticlog.com/radion
I know it's specific to Radions - but if you just use the intensity slider, and look @ the PAR values, you've got a really good interactive reference for your tank! I'd also suggest recording your PAR values:
par-chart-75%25.jpg

Thanks for the tips, guys. I've dialed it down more. I got my apex cable today, so I'll get it on control tonight, and have more precise control over it.

I mainly worry about my yumas getting too much light, but I have them at the bottom, under the edge of rocks, so they're getting partially shaded light. They seem happy so far...

Got my link cable and got it hooked up to the apex and programmed. Now that I see what 40% intensity actually is, I took it down to 20.

Back