Another natural predator of Asterina Starfish?

JeffBoyRD

Just got a hold of some rock last weekend from Ryan and noticed a bunch of "tiny" starfish amongst them. Remembered Joe had an issue earlier this year with them, PMed him as well as did some searching. I see that harelequin shrimp eat them, but according to this new thread:

http://reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1745175

Linckia starfish do as well. Any else ever see this?

First pic from the post as a teaser (go to the post to see more):
Linckia112109LR0724.jpg

HMMMM i never knew these little starfish were problems, i have hundreds of them and never seen them do any harm to anything. They never bothered me or anything in the tank so i just let them in there.

There are MANY species that we refer to as 'asterina'. Some are known polyp munchers and some are harmless. Mine don't seem to bother anything, but I do see them on corals once in awhile.

Thanks for the info., Jeff. I hadn't seen that thread. I have brought my asterinas under control with sucking them out at water changes. I also go in and get them whenever I see one chowing down on my zoanthids.

Joe

At one point I had a ton of them in my tank.....then I added a 6 line wrasse. I really don't know if the wrasse eats them or not but I have hardly any these days. I was actually surprised to see a few on the glass the other night.

Back