Another red slime algae thread

jackcarp

I have had my aquarium up and running with no problems with red slime until recently my Dragon Goby died, which was my primary sand stirrer. Since then I have seen a big change in the amount of red slime algae over the sand. Is this outbreak due to a lack of sand stirring? I have done multiple 10% water changes since then and was able to pull out a majority of the carcass. I have tested the water and the parameters are normal. I also changed my lightbulbs about 9 months ago (they are due again-I just dont think that would cause such a difference.)
What do I do?

must be that time of year haha. I'm trying to figure what's going on with mine too.
I am focusing on my CUC right now, what all do you have as far as hermits and snails?

Yep, usually see more cyano threads w/ summer temps.
More WC's w/ RO/DI, siphon cyano while doing, more aggro skim, lighter feedings, rinse mysis/frozen in RO/DI, chaeto in fuge, maybe lower or break in light cycle will all help.
I doubt has anything to do w/ goby death.
I never stir a DSB.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=15370655#post15370655 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by sk8rreefgeek
must be that time of year haha. I'm trying to figure what's going on with mine too.
I am focusing on my CUC right now, what all do you have as far as hermits and snails?

I have a good variety of snails and hermits. They do a pretty good job of cleaning up anything, except red slime of course. Good luck with yours. :D

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=15370805#post15370805 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by davocean
Yep, usually see more cyano threads w/ summer temps.
More WC's w/ RO/DI, siphon cyano while doing, more aggro skim, lighter feedings, rinse mysis/frozen in RO/DI, chaeto in fuge, maybe lower or break in light cycle will all help.
I doubt has anything to do w/ goby death.
I never stir a DSB.

I will try turning down the lights some. Unfortunately, I don't have a sump or a fuge. I will go ahead and change my lights out too. I guess I am looking at doing a water change today.:lol: Thanks for the input.

I agree, it seems to come with summer temps. I'm battling mine with a combo of Chemiclean red slime remover and no lights for a few days. Hopefully that will fix it.

Even though this is summer, I haven't seen any temp changes in my tank. Strictly 78.6-79.8. I am really concerned because I have to leave my tank for 2 weeks next month and I want everything perfect before I leave.

Okay-I am getting kind of desperate. So I have still had an outbreak of Red Slime algae in my tank. I bought new lights for my pc. I have turned them down so they are not on for such a long time during the day. I have been doing more water changes and vacuuming up all of it that I can. My pH is 8.3, temp is 78-79, phosphates 0, nitrates 0.
I have been feeding my 2 fish very little for the past 2 weeks and have not been adding anything in the water for my corals. I also have been using Phosphate absorbing filter material and phosphate absorber in my skimmer. I have also been skimming wetter as well.
I am at a loss. Could it be due to low Alkalinity? I have to leave my tank for 2 weeks starting next week and I am afraid I am going to come home to a tank full of dead corals.

Please help!
Thanks in advance for your advice.

Ok,

I fully expect criticism on this but I am going to tell you anyway. I had a bout with red slime that lasted a few months. I know the causes and I know in theory how to beat it but nothing worked. I finally broke down and used Blue Life Red Slime remover following the package instructions. All cyano was gone in about 3 days although I ran the course of the treatment, 5 days straight as instructed. I have an SPS dominated tank that is 1.5 years old, all inhabitants made it through just fine, PE was a bit inhibited for the 5 day treatment but not completely retracted. Once my weekly water change was completed all PE returned to normal and have been cyano free for weeks now.

I should add here that if you choose a chemical fix that once you resume skimming your skimmer will go nuts! I have an overflow on my skimmer chamber so I was not in danger of flooding but I stood over the collection cup for about an hour and used a turkey baster to remove the water that was flowing into the cup. In all I pulled out 2 1/4 gallons of "bad" water before the skimmer returned to normal. This was the hardest part of the treatment.

I have since instituted some changes in lighting, feeding and skimming volume and am hoping that it doesn't return.

On a similar note, my cyano showed up about 3 weeks after the death of my Diamond Goby, coincidence???

Good luck with your battle.

Last edited:
Thanks Dlandino for your thoughts. Just like you I am trying not to resort to using any chemicals, but at this point I am desperate. I don't know if I can order the stuff and have it arrive and treat my tank before the time I have to leave on my 2 week trip.
On a separate note, I go down to Ecuador each year with a group of students from the Biochem Dept. from Yale. Good times.

Hahaha, Small world. I am sure I know some by name but not face. I am in the IT end of the Security Department. Good luck with the tank.

I had success with Chemiclean Red Slime Remover. One mistake I made is I turned my lights off for 3 days but didn't turn off my dosing pumps so unfortunately I had a pretty bad Alk spike. Other than that I had no problems at all and the Red Slime has completely dissapeared.

Bummer! With the Blue Life product, the lights stay on their normal schedule, in fact you dose when the lights are on. I also continued to dose my 2 part. Skimming, carbon and GFO are ceased however.

Obviously as has been stated you have to be careful with the chemical solution, but my 75 had a terrilbe outbeak, and I tried everything, the only thing that worked was the bluelife fix, and my mostly sps tank survived!

I just got finishing my dosage of Chemiclean. So far so good. Water is crystal clear - looks like there is no glass in the tank and the fish are just floating on air. I just stopped the skimmer and took out the carbon and purigen for 2 days. I just put the carbon and purigen back in the sump after 72 hours.

I also just finished a round of Chemiclean (upgraded from crappy 110w PCs to 324w T5s and I guess I didn't ease into it as slowly as I thought). I agree, if you follow the directions carefully, you'll be fine. But watch out for the overflowing skimmer when you turn it back on- that's where I am now :-(

Thanks for the replies. I am really hoping not to have to use chemicals because-the way I see it-there is a reason that I am getting such an outbreak. I would like to correct it without using chemicals, but at this point the only think that I havent done is increase the water flow and start using GFO or Carbon (I don't have anywhere to put it!) I would also like to start using Chaeto, but again, I don't have a sump so I don't have anywhere to put it.
I think I will try more water changes and another powerhead for now and maybe order the slime remover so I have it on hand. I hope I get this under control as I am starting to have nightmares about it... Literally! :eek2:

Back