anthelia and xenia out of control

ganjero

saiperchémibatteilcorazon
I got a small piece fo anthelia (waving hand) and also pumpum xenia and know they are growing out of control. IS there something that eats this coral? or how can I control it? I dont want them to grow over my sps or my zoos.

Thanks

just going to have to frag them and give them or sell them to either other reefers or back to the local fish store

not sure if there's anything that will eat it,

The problem is that these corals are really hard to frag, you have to peel them from the rock.

na... fragging xenia couldnt be easier. You could just lean a rock up against it and it will attach itself. or you can cut it and rubberband it to a rock.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=7537124#post7537124 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by snarkes
na... fragging xenia couldnt be easier. You could just lean a rock up against it and it will attach itself. or you can cut it and rubberband it to a rock.

Can't be simpler than that. Water change is harder than that. :p

Is it Xenia sp. or Anthelia sp.--two different types of corals. From what you are saying, it sounds like the latter, which is a bit more difficult to peel off.

Xenia can be peeled off with a thumbnail, and will adhere to a new rock fairly readily: just pin it to the sand with a fairly light rock and you see it attach by morning.

I dont want to frag them I want to get rid of them, but they are all over my rocks now. Anthelia and xenia I have both.

That's my project for today - removing the anthelia.

xenia does peel back - anthelia on the hand sticks like crazy.

I have xenia too that is out of control. I am going to spend a day removing it. I really don't have much for finger nails so you guys have any other ways to get this stuff off of rock?

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=7540816#post7540816 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by smcdonn
I have xenia too that is out of control. I am going to spend a day removing it. I really don't have much for finger nails so you guys have any other ways to get this stuff off of rock?

Xenia used to grow out of control in my tank too. Like many people have said they like dirty water. Since I upgraded my skimmer to the better one.. doing heavy skimming, ... doing water change every week now instead of two weeks. Xenia grow is slowing down and some have disappeared...

I actually have a tomato clown fish that hates anything pink that is too close to its anemone. If I have my xenia or anthelia near the clown and the anemone he darts out and takes big bites out of them. He even attacks my leather coral... he destroyed 2/3 of my xenia polulation the other day when I was moving some things around in the tank and forgot to keep as much distance as I could from him.

My water quality is good. I do a small water change every 2 weeks or so with RO/DI water that has 0 TDS, I skim wet with a euro reef skimmer, and this is what my water tests come out to be:

Ammonia 0
Nitrite 0
Nitrate 0
KH 161 ppm
CA 420 ppm

Can you cut this stuff down then take a stiff brush and scrub the rock?

Xenia can be taken off of a rock with a somewhat blunt paring knive (I use an old one). The same for anthelia to a certain degree.

I've heard that from several people. Sometimes it won't even grow in tanks with the super heavy duty skimmers.

I used to have a huge xenia colony when I had an Aqua C EV400 skimmer.......then I upgraded a to a HUGE MONSTER Deltec AP902 and it slowly died out and is now completely gone. Shame cuz I liked the stuff. If it got to be too much, I just grabbed some and yanked it out, no big deal. After my big colony slowly shriveled up and dissappeared (took about 2-3 months and it was a colony about the size of a basketball) I got some given to me from Jan at Clayton Pet. She has some in her front tank that she grabs out and gives away when it gets to be too much. I took some home, pinned it to a rock, and within a week it shriveled up and disappeared. I cant even keep the stuff anymore.

Moral to this story?

DELTEC RULES! :cool:

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=7542715#post7542715 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by ganjero
can somebody else confirm that xenia grows faster in dirty water?

7 months ago before I upgraded my tank I had a 50 gal with a prizm skimmer and a 10 gal sump/fuge. In there I had the same volitan lionfish and snowflake eel that I have right now but they were a bit smaller. As you can imagine my nitrates were really high and my tank was very green with algae. But my Xenia loved it! It pulsed rapidly and grew at an insane rate. My tank is a lot larger and better planned now and the Xenia is dying off.
93240new_tank_pics_036.jpg

Back