Anthias questions?

Fish_Kid99

I want to get 2 anthias fish but I've got some questions about them. My first question is whether or not it will fit with the tank mates (55 gallon)

• Black Nox Dwarf Angelfish
• Engineer Goby
• Royal Grandma Basslet
• Yellowfin Flasher Wrasse (male+female)
• Green Mandarin (waiting at least 1 year after 1st fish goes in the tank)
• Marine Betta

In addition, I also have one orange chromis and yellow band moron clown in 20 gallon.

I love the colors of the Bartlett's Anthias and also the Lyretail but i would like a pair that can fit in a 55 gallon. I would be willing to get rid of the wrasse because of the bioload.

I would also like to thank everybody at RC for putting up with frequent questions. :lmao: Just remember that all of you were noobs at some time. :D LOL

Last edited:

hobbzz

How do I change this?
The bioload would depend on filtration, and whether they would get along or not would depend on rockwork. Most likely some people are going to respond without asking those questions, but the answers may not be correct.

That's on the high end for stocking, especially for someone new to the hobby. Lyretails might pick on the wrasses, and do best in groups of more than two. If you ending up keeping the tank long enough, that beta will be able to eat everything except the goby and angel. That's assuming its small now. They have large mouths.

Maybe look at a single sunburst. Not much more than the others you listed. They do not do well in numbers though. Just singly. They also don't swim around much, but imo are much prettier than any other anthias.

Fish_Kid99

If you ending up keeping the tank long enough, that beta will be able to eat everything except the goby and angel. That's assuming its small now. They have large mouths.

Maybe look at a single sunburst. Not much more than the others you listed. They do not do well in numbers though. Just singly. They also don't swim around much, but imo are much prettier than any other anthias.

Yeah with the beta I was planning on getting it very small and raising it as one of the last fish I add so it would be the smallest in the tank.

I agree with the sunburst being extremely beautiful but I kind of what a more active anthias. I was thinking about a single male lyretail.

shaka

I don't have any advice ( yet ). I'm going to try 4 Lyretail females in my 140 gallon.

On the other hand, I do like the way you listed your yellow band maroon clown as a yellow band "moron" clown . . . nice touch.

Fish_Kid99

I don't have any advice ( yet ). I'm going to try 4 Lyretail females in my 140 gallon.

On the other hand, I do like the way you listed your yellow band maroon clown as a yellow band "moron" clown . . . nice touch.

That was actually a typo and a very good one at that. I just noticed that also it it is really stupid and such a wuss! :fun4: It lets a chromis push it around the tank.

EDIT-Lets not forget the Royal "Grandma" Basslet :lol: For the record I typed this on Word and just autocorrected it. I should probably check it next time! LOL

Last edited:

hobbzz

How do I change this?
A single males colors will fade without any females. I would do some research about the Bartlett's.

hobbzz

How do I change this?
If you get only a pair, that will be a lot aggression for one female to handle. That's why it's recommended to keep them in groups of 3 or more.

Ambition

I'm going to say no to adding any more fish. You're heavily stocked as is, and the marine beta with some of these fish is going to be questionable over time.

ca1ore

Grizzled & Cynical
At least three lyre tails if you plan a male. Had a big group years ago in my 220, then the male died and the 6 females beat themselves to a pulp trying to restore dominance. Wonderful fish though.

Jasanden

Royal Grandma Basslet
Lol
Why not try a Fat head( Sunburst Anthias)? One of the only that don't mind being a single or a pair. Not quite sure with your tank size but worth a look.