Any 40breeder SPS tanks out there?

Jadams

I am setting up a new 40g breeder with the intent of keeping an SPS dominate reef. Looking for any others with 40breeder SPS tanks to see pics of hardware set up, aquascaping etc....

Mine will have:
150W HQI MH - 20K Radium Bulb
20g tall sump
tunze9002 nano skimmer (from my current 24g nano cube, but will be upgrading later)
Kent Nautilus Reactor
MAG5 return
2 x Koralia 1's (always on)
2 x Maxijet 1200's (on a wavemaker...30 seconds on/30 seconds off???)

Will this be a good amount of flow? Will the lighting be efficient?

Thanks for the help and pics if you got them :)

I used to have one that was SPS/LPS
Here is what I had

-about 95 pounds of live rock
-HOB tetra filter used to run carbon and phosban
-Koralia 4 on always
-3 maxi jet 1200s on a wavemaker (also with the hydor rotating deflectors )
-2X 39 watt t5 actinics
400 watt radium SE halide
Deltec MCE500 skimmer

It was a pretty good setup for a sumpless tank. :)
The breeders are some of my favorite sizes.
-

i just upgraded to a 40 breeder a few weeks ago..

DSC_0215.jpg

you'll definitely want more light than 150w.. i have a 250w 20k radium/icecap ballast and i am already looking for other options. dual 250w pendants would be nice. right now the ends of the tank are a little dim and the corals aren't popping as well as those in the center.

currently i have an mp20 (upgrading to mp40w shortly) and a koralia 3 on the other end (not in pic), mag7 return. i'm happy with the flow and believe i can remove the k3 when i upgrade to the mp40. i think you might want to up the flow a little bit as well.

dan

Thanks guys. I am going to up the koralia's in the future. Im just going to try and get it set up well enough from the existing items i have until i can afford a better skimmer/more flow.

Anyone have any inpuut on the wavemaker cycle i am going too goo with? 30sec on/30 sec off? Is this good? Does it matter if it's shorter or longer???

nice tank ghostshadow!!! That's what i want mine to look like..hahaha

I think im gonna need more lighting forsure...The $$$ is going to make my wife mad :( hahahahaha

I agree on the lighting. Youll need 2x150 if you want to stick with 150w MH. I have 2x150w on my 65 but have lots of rock and keep my sps in the top half. I knew less when I started and would have gone with 2x250w if I started all over again.... well I will go with a much bigger tank when I start with a new tank :lol:

i have a 50 gallon and have 4x39 watts of t5 over it, you might consider 6x39 watts of t5 for your tank :)

You really need 2 pendants if you go with mh. I also find it diffcult to distrubute flow. I think I am going to ghetto rig a wavy sea type thing for my tunze.

My 40br
modded MJ1200 (1600gph)
Mj1200 (295)
Mag 7 return
20g high tank for a sump
one heck of a skimmer

60lbs LR in display, I will be putting a few lbs in sump soon

250w MH
coralvue 14K
2x39w T5 Actinics
IceCap Spider reflector (mistake and will be upgraded)

The sides are a little dim with a spider reflector, I believe that the Lumenmarcs that I ordered will help solve the issue. Now I just keep monti caps on the side and my aquascape is not made for the light to get to the side (intentionally). 2 x 150MH would be OK... I would worry about heat, and space if there is a canopy. IMO a single 250 is fine especially if you aquascape good. I have a fan in mine and the back is open. I am upgrading the flow soon since I use the wavmaker on my ACjr.

Pics, but it is a work in progress like usual.

Old FTS
P1011701.jpg

Side shot
P1011779.jpg

my 40 breeder...

15 gallon sump with 3 gallon fuge lit 24/7
Coral life super (crappy) skimmer
RK2 CA reactor
Tunze top-off with Calcium can to add Kalk
1/10th Chiller
ACIII Pro
4x39 TEK - 2Blue+, 2aquablue special
2 moon lights
2- nano stream modded
2- Koralia 2's
mag 9 return through a SCWD

Click on my little red house for my website and more pictures (click gallery in the top right of the page....)

2908779792_e7bf089621.jpg

-Kyle

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=13958798#post13958798 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by ghostshadow
i just upgraded to a 40 breeder a few weeks ago..

DSC_0215.jpg

you'll definitely want more light than 150w.. i have a 250w 20k radium/icecap ballast and i am already looking for other options. dual 250w pendants would be nice. right now the ends of the tank are a little dim and the corals aren't popping as well as those in the center.

currently i have an mp20 (upgrading to mp40w shortly) and a koralia 3 on the other end (not in pic), mag7 return. i'm happy with the flow and believe i can remove the k3 when i upgrade to the mp40. i think you might want to up the flow a little bit as well.

dan

Your tank reminds me of SunnyX's new tank!

This is almost what my breeder is to the T! I am using a single

250w 12 Reeflux bulb in a lumenbright reflector
MP20 vortech
mag 7 return
octo dnw-110 skimmer
20 gallon sump

right now my overflow is in the middle, I have another 40 breeder that I will switch to soon. It will be peninsula style with an external overflow which I will plumb through the wall into a 100 gallon rubbermaid as a sump :D

Wow..its funny how one day I will be thinking about something and then a few days later there is a thread that relates to what I was thinking about....

Anyway I have just started to plan my next tank and I am pretty sure I am going to go with a 40 breeder. I really like the dimentions of these tanks. It will also be SPS dominant. I would like to see more 40 breeder SPS tanks as well. Thank you for the timely posts :) and everyones tanks are definately inspiration Thank you again.

Thanks for all the pics GPhiAce & kvosstra. Both your tanks look awesome! All the tank specs help alot as well foor my planning.
I will post a build thread soon :D

Heres My 40 Breeder:

Two 150W HQI 14,000K
XP4 Canister Filter-Carbon, Chemi-pure Elite, Sponge Pad, Phosphate Pad
Two Tunze, Two Maxi-Jets for water movement
I run no skimmer and I perform water changes every two weeks.

Tank is over a year old, some corals are older and I have recently added alot of frags.
IMG_7149.jpg

IMG_7152.jpg

IMG_7156.jpg

IMG_7157.jpg

IMG_7158.jpg

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=13964305#post13964305 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by LooseHip
Your tank reminds me of SunnyX's new tank!

This is almost what my breeder is to the T! I am using a single

250w 12 Reeflux bulb in a lumenbright reflector
MP20 vortech
mag 7 return
octo dnw-110 skimmer
20 gallon sump

right now my overflow is in the middle, I have another 40 breeder that I will switch to soon. It will be peninsula style with an external overflow which I will plumb through the wall into a 100 gallon rubbermaid as a sump :D

that's funny, i run an octo 150 skimmer, and a 20gallon rubbermaid sump. great minds think alike! :D

are you happy with the lumenbright? is the coverage wide enough? might help the OP and others that are considering the single pendant route.

i have a lumenarc3 pendant with a 12k reeflux bulb sitting around.. i need to see if it will accomplish the light coverage i'm looking for.

dan

Well I am happy for now... I think two pendants would be ideal, or if I raised the lumenbright higher (the bulb is already 17" off the water so IDK).

Things I like best about the LB pendant.

Topless- no canopy which makes it easy to work in the tank

No heat transfer since it is mounted so high off the water

no supplemental lighting needed with the bulb ballast combo (reeflux/coralvue) I run. The color is just about perfect!

Back