Any chance rising Lysmata debelius?

natan

I wonder, shall I try it? Recently got a pair, and they are bound to spawn rather sooner than later. Had anyone ever done it? I have no experience with marine fish or inverts, but plenty with all sorts of terrestrial micro-fauna and some FW fish.

billsreef

Moderator, 10 & Over Club
Premium Member
This thread has the most useful info on raising shrimp. Granted it's about the related the Lysmata amboinensis, but the debelius is going to be simular.

natan

Thank U. have read that one, just was wondering about debelius specifically, as it was hardly mentioned in that one and could be different.

Luis A M

Premium Member
Raising debelius is about the same,but they don´t have giant larvae and take three rather than five months to settle.Best is to gain experience with peppermints.;)

natan

Three rather than five months to settle sounds like good news in terms of playing the mazochist game :)
As i have nothing to luse whatsowever, may be i will try it. Which leads me to my next question: do i need to remove the expectent mom or is it possible to collect some larvae from the display tank. Dont need them all, just enough to play with. If possible, how shall i do it? Would love to avoide disturbing the display tank if i can.

>Best is to gain experience with peppermints.<
May be so, but in this country peps are unavailable for whatever reason (well beyound me).
As to the masochist game fans, has anyone here ever attampted breeding european goldfinch from wild parents? Took me 8 years but did it eventually. cant see any reason for the shrimp 2 beat that.

Last edited:

Luis A M

Premium Member
Best is to remove the shrimp the day it´s due.Otherwise you can shine a light one hour after lights off.Larvae will gather beneath and you can siphon out most of them.
No L.seticaudata at the cost?.Or other goodies at Eilat?
Mazel tov!

natan

What little of the goodies remain at Eilat after the constant suage spills are havily protected (its a reserve). the major problem with eilat actually is that local NCA forbids import of nearly anything that is (or was) found in their in case peope remove things for themselves ruther than bying the imports. In fact it has directly oposite effect-market prices sky rocket, providing a real insentive for unscrupulous people to remove things from eilat, but the NCA people arround here are naturally brainless, and its an unqurable condition...
Fortunately, even the unscrupulous are not nearly as stupid as NCA and more often than not prefer to smaggle things from US and europe rather than look for them locally (in the suage), for the simple reasons of avalability and quality. Most black market animals arround here are actually commonly mass-produced CB species (particularly clams).

natan

thats interesting. never found them so far, but will try agan :) med. sea is ok, and some useful species did immigrate. the list is growing all the time. are they any good 4 the droid control? and what about reef safety?

Luis A M

Premium Member
Peppers are reef safe,lots of them are sold to reefers for Aiptasia control.I´m not sure about them eating hydroids:confused: