Any downside to having the skimmer out of the sump

offroadr

I am building a 55g sump and I would have alot more room if I did not have the skimmer in the intake compartment. I am having to make the intake larger than I wanted to due to the skimmer size and makes the return and refugium smaller.

buckeyereefer1

mine is external an not wanting to go back. unless maybe i was putting everything under the stand. a good quality an appropriate sized skimmer doesn't overflow or go "crazy" nearly as often. yes i have had couple small incidents but have cleaned up that much or more for other reasons an more often. but i also have either tile or bare concrete. you can get a collection container that your collection cup drains into an place it above sump. that way if skimmer goes "nuts" it just overflows into sump.

bmkj02

That plus in my case where I have a ATO, if the skimmer keeps overflowing outside my ATO will kick on and start adding RO water and next thing you know I will have saltwater fish in a freshwater tank

bmkj02

a good quality an appropriate sized skimmer doesn't overflow or go "crazy" nearly as often. yes i have had couple small incidents but have cleaned up that much or more for other reasons an more often.

Nearly as oftern is good enough to have a big mess if it starts overnight and your asleep. I know those really good ones are external but I can sleep well knowning I might wake up to a mess

sfsuphysics

You could always drill a really high hole in your skimmer cup and pipe that back to your sump for a "just in case" situation.

NanoReefWanabe

Interesting idea!

I am putting a liner in my stand to help with any issues of leakage too

skimmer leakage is not a mess you want to have on the floor of your stand, or house for that matter....

i like both ideas of having either a collection cup mounted above the sump or a overflow line plumbed back to your sump. however i thought those collection cups once full somehow shut the skimmer down by not allowing it pull any air...

the only issue i have with an external skimmer is if something sets your skimmer off, floods are pretty eminent, up until your ato converts your tank to fresh water at which point your skimmer stops working as well...plumbing an emergency line back to the sump will keep all the system's water in check should something go astray. however having all that crappy water flowing back into your tank wont be good for it either...

mussel and hate

My skimmer sits atop my tank over top the corner overflow in a quarter cut 5 gallon bucket bottom. It is fed by an external pump which draws water from the sump. In case of a power outage the skimmer drains to the sump through the feed pump, on restart there is no overflow. In case of an overflow the effluent returns to the display tank guided by the bucket backsplash.

The only downside I've observed is aesthetic, and that can be remedied with some time and effort but I'm far too lazy for that.