Any easy to keep butterflies for 3-foot tank?

Zionas

Hi, I’ve finalized my tank size and it’s going to be 3-foot long. It’s going to be 36”x24”x26”. I’m wondering if there are any newbie-friendly Butterflyfish for a tank of this size, as LA recommends at least 120 gallons for the vast majority of Butterflyfish including the Klein’s. Please don’t suggest any difficult species.

I’m also wondering if a Marine Betta would be easy to keep, and whether a fully grown one would be OK for a tank of my size. I heard they’re difficult to train when it comes to eating prepared foods, and I’m worried they’ll start eating small fish and inverts.

If I can’t get a butterfly or a Marine Betta, my next alternative that I’m considering is putting two dwarf angels. Could be a pair of African Flameback / Atlantic Pygmy, or I also wonder whether it would be safe to mix species. From what I’ve read 2 Coral Beauties or Coral Beauty + Flames are not a good idea. I’m thinking more along the lines of Coral Beauty + Atlantic Pygmy / African Flameback, Coral Beauty / African Flameback / Atlantic Pygmy + Half Black / Rusty.

Last edited:
Sorry, I wouldn't recommend any butterflyfish or a Marine Betta in just a 3-foot tank.

A pair of dwarf angels would probably work. Potter's are easiest to sex: http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2383250

I'd use an acclimation box in QT when attempting to pair them:

<iframe width="876" height="698" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/f5TMry7JOAQ" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Sorry, I wouldn't recommend any butterflyfish or a Marine Betta in just a 3-foot tank.

Agree with you on the butterflies, but strongly disagree on the Marine Bettas.
I've kept spawning pairs and, by accident due to a juvenile escaping the grow-out tank, even a trio in 3 or 4 ft tanks. Marine Bettas are not highly active swimmers and do quite okay in 3ft tanks and up as long as they have enough rockwork and caves.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

If I add a Clownfish pair AND a pair of Chrysiptera damsels (I’m looking at Azure or Talbot’s), wouldn’t they fight?

Since I’ll be getting my Clowns small, the damsels will be around the same size as them.

I had a pair (+a juvenile) of percula clowns (in a gigantea anemone) with a trio of starcki damsels and they never got into serious conflict.
The damsels were mostly at odds with the Gramma but those just needed to open their far larger mouths (armed with plenty of teeth) to make the damsels reconsider... It was always hilarious to watch.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Back