Any effects of loud music on a fishies?

I want to think fish get used to it? I blast music when I work out, and listen to a movie fairly loud with the surround sound. The first few times the fish would flinch, but now I notice no difference in their behavior.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=14174924#post14174924 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by NewSchool04
And Jeff mentioning Dio . . . that brings back memories of, well just memories.

For me Dio just brings up memories that there are things I can't remember. :hmm4:

Kidding aside, I believe the loud music (bass in particular) can certainly interfere with or irritate your fish - their lateral line picks up the vibration (same principle that tapping on glass has). Water also has amplifying properties.

So, whether a party from time to time will hurt the fish, I think you'd just have to observe. I probably be more worried about someone dumping a beer in my tank, but would definitely keep an eye on the fishes reaction.

There was one time when I was considering the impacts of my room on my tank. Ive always thought that for the fish it was a little unnatural and at first would be stressful.

Anyone ever dive? Snorkel? Its pretty quiet when you go down there. You can hear every clink of your gear, every heart beat, and every breath.

Relatively speaking, a fish lives in that environment from birth so even the sounds of feet on the floor are probably noticeable. Put your ear to your tank sometime and listen to it. Youll be surprised how much humming you hear from the pumps and such. Water and more solid states of matter, compared to air, are going to be better at transferring vibrations.

I take it into account when I get new fish and have added it to yet another reason why proper QT is essential to keeping your fish alive. Less stress is the way to go.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=14190705#post14190705 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by PSam
I probably be more worried about someone dumping a beer in my tank, but would definitely keep an eye on the fishes reaction.

Just so you know, Beer is fine in the tank until it hits the protein skimmer! Nothing shuts a party down faster than when that smell hits. And yes, i'm speaking from experience. :lol:

Back