Any experience with infrared heaters

Plankt0s

Premium Member
My new facility is heated with an infrared heater along one side and I was wondering if anyone has ever used this type of heater and if anyone thinks that it would be too focused for my purpose. here is a sketch-up of one of the areas that will be used for my prop tanks.

140426farmHEAT-med.jpg

crazzy

I have used them in an indoor conservatory/spa/pool in my house that I had in Edmonton Canada. I had two and ran them in parralel along the ridge.
They were extremely good and inexpensive to heat and kept toasty a 2,400 sq.ft. area. I had them mounted up high {about 24' } and I needed no other heating except for the pool and spa water heated. Kept the water at 86 F. and I had no issues with the very large windows icing over in even minus 50. I used four ceiling fans originally {Humphrey Bogart type, slow turning } but later I kept them off because I had free flying bids in there. No problems or issues over 8 years I lived there. They are used extensively in warehouses.

MrPike

I think that it could bother the corals.

I gave infrared heating quite a bit of thought for our greenhouse but came to the same conclusion. Im not sure if infrared heating can actually heat water, or just the corals themselves.

Plankt0s

Premium Member
well I know that it will heat water but I wasn't sure if it would just heat the tanks under the heater too much and the rest of the room would be cold... I am in Northern Minnesota and we do have -40 days so heating is a big issue for us.