Any fish you regret buying?

Mikeeal

Same avatar since '05
I just wanted to say that I wish I never bought my yellow watchman goby. I feed him once a day, frozen mysis, etc. and all it's doing is degrading my water quality that I work so hard to keep clean. It would be different if I could enjoy the fish, however, everytime I walk into the room, it darts into the rocks and hides. I find myself sneaking up on my tank to see the fish. What's the point?

I have a bluespotted goby and while he does hide when startled he comes out in just a few mins. If you want some fun put some of those real small shrimp that are live, your goby will go nuts hunting them down! Maybe you just have a bum of a goby...

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=6919154#post6919154 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by nanoreefs415
try getting a pistol shrimp for it. maybe that will make him bolder?

There's already one in there with him, I thought the same thing, though they do hang out right next to eachother, he's still a sissy la la.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=6919379#post6919379 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by WilllisTooL
Maybe you just have a bum of a goby...

This is the second one. :mad: I'm gonna swear off of gobies all together. :mad2:

How long has he been in there? My Yasha Haze was really shy for the first few months. Now he just spends his day laying out on the sand with Pistol Pete, his best bud.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=6919732#post6919732 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Blazer88
How long has he been in there? My Yasha Haze was really shy for the first few months. Now he just spends his day laying out on the sand with Pistol Pete, his best bud.

Yeah, I'm hoping that's what's going on. They've only been in there a few weeks. I'm really impatient.

Dragon goby, loves to dump sand all over your corals, no matter the tank size. I watched on in a big tank get a scoop of sand got about 5" above all the LR and corals and thats where he dumped it. He almost killed my sun coral :(

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=6919803#post6919803 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Fishfreak218
hmm.. Damsels and Royal Gramma.... and Occelaris Clown (SO OVERRATED)

In my opinion they are underrated, since you can atleast SEE those fish.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=6919916#post6919916 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Cutiewitbooty
Dragon goby, loves to dump sand all over your corals, no matter the tank size. I watched on in a big tank get a scoop of sand got about 5" above all the LR and corals and thats where he dumped it. He almost killed my sun coral :(

Dang, that would bug me too. Why do we put up with it?

yeah but they are boring, i like my blue damsel so much better than the flase percula i had. I do love the maroon clowns though, they are more active.

I regret ever getting gobies. They're skiddish, never eat if a nassarius snail is nearby because they get freaked out, and worry me to death because they might die.

Pistol shrimps don't help either.

I regret ever getting gobies,and will never get another one.

I also regret getting my flame angel, but because he ate $200 worth of montipora.

I regret getting a Coral Beauty for my 65G. She was a complete bully and picked at my LPS and softies. About Gobies, I would have to completely disagree. My Yasha isn't scared of anything and just chills on the sand. My Kole Tang (5 x's his size) can bump into him without a care in the world and is almost always out in the open. I guess each fish is different though.

i've had 3 gobies, and they're all extremely skiddish. a dumb nassarius snail that's buried in front of the goby will render the goby dumb. my randalli goby was freaked out by a small hermit crab that had sat in front of his hole. A flake food hit him in the face, and stayed there. He wouldn't eat it. Then the flame angel came by and picked it off his face.

Later when the hermit left, I fed the goby again, spot feeding (which takes so much effort) and he ate the flake. But then the nassarius smelled the food, and came over, this time I squirted the flake right into his face again, and he didn't budge.

So stupid! So frustrating! I don't know why =( I'm just unlucky.

So I told myself to never try to feed the gobies again. if they're hungry enough, they're going to have to fight for food.

somehow they both swim out for flakes / brine / mysis whenever I feed. which is a bit better. but they're skinny, and only eat to keep themselves alive.

=P

Wow, yours do sound pretty stupid, lol. Even the pair I got last week are eating just fine. I am using brine shrimp in an eye dropper and they are nipping at the thing trying to get food out. So far these ones seem pretty smart but still hide a lot when motion is around the tank. I figure they will be fine as they get accustomed to the tank. It does sound like you have pretty bad luck :)

It's not exactly a fish, but we bought a black brittle star a few weeks ago and all it ever does is sit there, I know serpent stars are known for being too active either but we had one of those before this one and it would eat out of your hand, and it would come out every now and then and let us see it, but not the brittle star... it just sits in the same corner and does nothing ALL the time, so I regret buying a black brittle star, worst ten bucks ever!

Porcupine puffer. Poops more than it eats.
I love my yellow clown gobies. They were timid at first but I have had them for over 2 years now and come right up to the glass to see if I have food for them.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=6919917#post6919917 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Mikeeal
In my opinion they are underrated, since you can atleast SEE those fish.

I also regret getting a false perc. He snatches food away from my corals when i try to feed em...and eats till it's freaking bloated...while my other fish starve. In my opinion... the amt of bioload this fish puts out...i could get two small fish like a yellow clown goby and a neon goby.

Back