Any hope for my crocea?


Please forgive a newbie.

Either it's cold shock, or I acclimated him too quickly. I got home from the frag swap and had to immediately leave again (I'm a veterinarian, had an emergency call). I left my husband in charge of acclimating the frags but he accidentally left the crocea clam on the counter :( Water was cool when I got home (probably low 70's). I started dripping warm tank water and got him warmed up in about an hour. I would have preferred a much slower acclimation, but I thought the cold stress would be more dangerous (a quick check of Knop said cold=death. . .). Anyway--at first he was very responsive--opened up in light, closed quickly when disturbed, but now ( 5 hrs later) he's gaping. Is there any hope? Anything else I should do--move him to higher or lower light or water flow?

He's my first clam, and I'm just sick about this.
Last edited:
Sorry to hear about that.
Give him time. From what I have heard Croceas can be mega gapers if stressed. Give him phyto, keep his conditions stable, and maybe all will be well :)
Keep us updated.
Thanks for the good thoughts Peabody. One possibly foolish question--how to feed phytoplankton. I already add DT's to the tank every other day--just drop half a capful into the tank. Is this adequate for the crocea, or do you target feed? I remember reading elsewhere about someone who placed their clam in a bowl to feed and then got flamed for moving him too much. Just want to be sure I have all of this straight.
Actually, many of us, including myself, bowl feed our baby clams (under 3"). They don't go fully photosynthetic until around that size and need massive amounts of phyto. Baby clams used to be VERY difficult to keep and this has nade it pretty simple. I got 2 2 inch maximas in November and bowl feed them 3 times a week. They have both put on 1 1/2 CM of new shell :) It's amazing how fast those two turn the light green water clear!
I think the concern about moving them is when they are attached. Mine are currently on the sandbed, so they are fine. (Some other people put down old shells or small rocks for them to attach to, but they can still be moved if needed.

I once had a squamosa who was looking stressed. For the heck of it, I put him in my feeding bowl one night. He looked GREAT
the next day, and continues to do so months later.

Anyway, enough rambling, if he is larger than three inches, feeding the tank is fine :)