Any idea what this may be?

jmh11788

jhunter
Sorry, wasn't sure which identify soft/lps/nem subforum to post this in, so figured this was the best place.

Found this attached to the underside of some eagle eye zoas. First picture is with lights on, second is shortly after lights off.

Any insight would be appreciated. Thanks!

WNctCMy.jpg

3VQKd0g.jpg

new zoa?

Does it have tentacles besides the ones on the outside?
is it soft to the touch?
does it have a noticeable base?

new zoa?

Does it have tentacles besides the ones on the outside?
is it soft to the touch?
does it have a noticeable base?
It's very small, so difficult to tell, but it does appear to have tentacles on the top as well. Not sure about the rest...bit late to be digging around in my aquarium. :p
It's a plate coral.
Guess I'll take your word for it. :spin1:

Anyone have tips on getting this little guy moved to it's own frag plug? It's hard to tell, but I think it's actually attached to the zoas rather than the rocks.

Anyone have tips on getting this little guy moved to it's own frag plug? It's hard to tell, but I think it's actually attached to the zoas rather than the rocks.

When on rocks like that, they normally have a small post you can just snip. Most people like to just place them on the sandbed. I would leave it attached to the rock, but that's just me. Let me go back into my pics and show you one.

I'd love to keep it where it is, but it's in a rather inconvenient spot...for itself and my viewing enjoyment. =P

In the picture, I have the rock it's on tilted over a bit just so I could get a good photo. In it's regular spot, this plate coral is pretty much underneath the zoa colony and gets practically no light. There's also a small toadstool attached to this rock you can see in the background. It's nearly on it's side at the moment.

Sooooo...ultimately I should probably move it.

It's way too small to put in the sand I'd imagine. I have fairly fine sand. One tiny sandstorm would bury it easily. I'd like to get it on a frag plug or small rock. I've been using super glue for all my frags thus far. I'm guessing this would be okay?

Still pretty new at this. Thanks for all the help thus far. :spin3:

It's definitely a plate coral. They grow really quickly (like to eat fish eggs) and if you don't remove it it will over grow the zoas and they will die. I had one on my rock and it started to grow these weird white lumps, found out in the wild they are only found on the sand, so I moved it to its natural spot, fortunately it healed and it has now tripled in size. I wouldn't place it on a frag or anything I think hard stuff underneath them irritates them, also they like to move around, strange but true. And don't worry about it being buried in sand, this happens to them in the wild all the time, they just inflate and move the sand off them, happens all the time in my tank when I'm cleaning the glass, it's pretty cool to watch.

Forgot to say, I broke a small piece of the rock off with the fungia attached and put it on the sand, it moved off on its own accord.

Thanks for the advice. I'll try and get it placed somewhere in the sand tomorrow.

It's sooo small though, I'm worried it'll get picked up by a current and meet its fate in a powerhead.

Maybe I'll rig up some sort of shelter box inside the tank with sand for the time being.

I would leave it be for now and once it gets larger remove it. Itll most likely eventually move on its own. The zoas shading it wont matter they do better in low light. In fact my plate coral gets itself into any nook or cranny it can to be in the lowest light and flow it can find. Maybe you can pop the zoas off that plug and remount them to another. Then you would be able to move the plug w the fungia plate into the sandbed

Sorry, wasn't sure which identify soft/lps/nem subforum to post this in, so figured this was the best place.

Found this attached to the underside of some eagle eye zoas. First picture is with lights on, second is shortly after lights off.

Any insight would be appreciated. Thanks!

WNctCMy.jpg

3VQKd0g.jpg

i have the same exact one at the same size on a zoa colony, with a hitchhiker plate coral, they are so cool XD, i got them with the zoa colony for 30$

fungia plate coral is what i got from everyone on this site.

I think I will leave it be for now. Hopefully it'll grow quickly and I can move it without fear of it getting sucked into a blender. :)

Thanks for all the advice everyone!

Back