any ideas why??

rudyretama

why wont my giant colony of greenstars open up??? i got a water test from the lfs the other day and all parameters are good.... everything else in the tank is fine,.... i have a frag of my colony of greenstars an inch lower and itis doing fine...??? any ideas why it wont open??

What are your params, "good" really doesn't give us much to go off of.

How old is the tank? How old is the coral in question? Do you have any test kits of your own? Not to say your LFS isn't doing it correct, I just feel more comfortable checking and know myself what I did and what my results were.

What type of lighting do you have? What do you have for flow? Where is the coral located? Is there anything in the tank that might be irritating it?

the tank is about a 18 months old, the coral was the first one i bought so it is about 17 months old, i dont have a teskit of my own, but they told me the exact ppm of everything and it all checked out i just cant remember the exact numbers....

as for lighting i have two hamilton technology pendant metal hallides,
for flow i have two korallia model 2, the coral has moderate flow, and its about 6 inches from the surface of the water.

So this is an older coral, and I assume that at some point it was open, correct. Have you tried moving it down a little lower to see if it would open?

I would suggest when you can, try and get yourself your own test kits, and then keep a log of your results so you can always go back and refer to those numbers.

i did that like 5 minuts ago... so i will wait to see the results....

but as for the test kit idea, i will start doing that saturday, i havent had a test kit for awhile because i am very young ( no job ) and i buy all the equipment and everything that goes into the tank. so it takes me awhile to save up for stuff

No problem, I have a job and its still hard to buy things. It was only a suggestion, and certainly not a reprimand. When you can, get some kits. Maybe buy one every couple-few weeks or something until you have what you need.

Good luck and I hope by moving the coral helps it out

+1 to getting your own test kits, but in the meantime it would be helpful if you could jot down the numbers you get from the LFS - you could create a log this way as well, and have it for reference in cases like this.

How long has the colony been closed for? It seems odd that if lighting & flow are the same and param's are 'good' that it would suddenly close up. Might be worthwhile to give it a little time and see if it opens again. My GSP closes for a full day every time I do a water change.

Some times my zoas will retract for a varying lenght of time, usually it is'nt always the entire colony, but rather a certain portion. They always open back up & seem fine, I am almost certain its noting to worry about.

I had this issue too . Never changed anything but opened up eventually. not sure why but mine did this a couple of times already. They won't open for awhile then open up again.

erick

I had some that did that too and I thought they were gonna die then they came back with a vengeance and over took a zoe frag I had!!
That was a few years ago and they're still going strong.

If you have any aggressive corals anywhere near your GSPs, they might be reaching over and attacking them at night when the lights are out. Things like elegance, hammer, frogspawn, torch. It is cool to see how far they can actually reach but if they can reach another coral they will sting them.

Some times my zoas will retract for a varying lenght of time, usually it is'nt always the entire colony, but rather a certain portion. They always open back up & seem fine, I am almost certain its noting to worry about.

or the whole colony could just shut down for a couple weeks to do whatever it does whilst shut down. many softies and colonies do this. you start freaking, but as long as you don't see flesh crumbling, or in your case, the purple mat crumbling or white with bacteria w/e, just roll with it. it is part of their habits.

Back